Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by artblue, Oct 3, 2012.

1. artblue macrumors newbie

If I charged my i pod touch every day how many years would I get from it.

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

No idea but I charge my 3rd gen Touch (3 years old) every day and it still appears to be running fine.

3. Project538 macrumors regular

I've read some places that it's actually better to let your battery run down almost all the way before charging it again. A daily charge/discharge will actually shorten the life of your battery if I'm not mistaken. My 2nd generation touch goes for a few days before I have to plug it in. I wouldn't recommend plugging it in every single night unless it actually needs to charge.

4. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

I'm still getting good battery life from my 3'rd generation touch. I've had it about 2 1/2 years.

(I was seeing really low battery life for a while. But, then I realized that the Audible app was draining it. Now, I close the app when I'm not using it & battery life is back up.)

5. gerbilbox macrumors regular

You no longer need to drain your battery down before charging it:
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Full drain before recharge was only true during the days of nickel-cadmium batteries. Ni-Cads were in susceptible to the "memory effect"--the accelerated loss of battery capacity--unless a full discharge was done before each recharge. All modern laptops, smartphones and iPods use lithium-based rechargeable batteries, which do no have the memory effect so they don't need a full drain to preserve their life.

Back to the original posters question, check out the BatteryUniversity.com link, it's a good resource on how to get the best life out of your iPod Touch and all rechargeables, although it is a bit technical in nature but has useful information that you can glean off. I prefer to wait for my iPod Touch to get to about 50% before I charge, so I don't charge everyday unless I need it.

6. IllIllIll, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

If you take care of it, your iPod Touch could last you 10+ years. The battery is a different story.

The answer is: it depends. If you're charging from 0% to full every day, it won't last as long as if you charged from 75% to full.

I believe the current iPod Touch battery is rated for 1000 charge cycles, so assuming you charged from 0% to full on a daily basis you could reasonably expect to get ~1000 days, or a little less than 3 years, out of it before needing a battery replacement.

7. PlasticCards macrumors newbie

That's right suggestion for you,

8. dhussey111 macrumors newbie

i think they can give you easily 6-7 years with the same battery don't over charge it..