iPod touch Battery Life

artblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
If I charged my i pod touch every day how many years would I get from it.

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
I've read some places that it's actually better to let your battery run down almost all the way before charging it again. A daily charge/discharge will actually shorten the life of your battery if I'm not mistaken. My 2nd generation touch goes for a few days before I have to plug it in. I wouldn't recommend plugging it in every single night unless it actually needs to charge.

ninaco

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
VA
I'm still getting good battery life from my 3'rd generation touch. I've had it about 2 1/2 years.

(I was seeing really low battery life for a while. But, then I realized that the Audible app was draining it. Now, I close the app when I'm not using it & battery life is back up.)

gerbilbox

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
I've read some places that it's actually better to let your battery run down almost all the way before charging it again.
You no longer need to drain your battery down before charging it:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Full drain before recharge was only true during the days of nickel-cadmium batteries. Ni-Cads were in susceptible to the "memory effect"--the accelerated loss of battery capacity--unless a full discharge was done before each recharge. All modern laptops, smartphones and iPods use lithium-based rechargeable batteries, which do no have the memory effect so they don't need a full drain to preserve their life.

Back to the original posters question, check out the BatteryUniversity.com link, it's a good resource on how to get the best life out of your iPod Touch and all rechargeables, although it is a bit technical in nature but has useful information that you can glean off. I prefer to wait for my iPod Touch to get to about 50% before I charge, so I don't charge everyday unless I need it.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
If I charged my i pod touch every day how many years would I get from it.
If you take care of it, your iPod Touch could last you 10+ years. The battery is a different story.

The answer is: it depends. If you're charging from 0% to full every day, it won't last as long as if you charged from 75% to full.

I believe the current iPod Touch battery is rated for 1000 charge cycles, so assuming you charged from 0% to full on a daily basis you could reasonably expect to get ~1000 days, or a little less than 3 years, out of it before needing a battery replacement.

Last edited:

PlasticCards

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
If you take care of it, your iPod Touch could last you 10+ years. The battery is a different story.

The answer is: it depends. If you're charging from 0% to full every day, it won't last as long as if you charged from 75% to full.

I believe the current iPod Touch battery is rated for 1000 charge cycles, so assuming you charged from 0% to full on a daily basis you could reasonably expect to get ~1000 days, or a little less than 3 years, out of it before needing a battery replacement.
That's right suggestion for you,

dhussey111

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
i think they can give you easily 6-7 years with the same battery don't over charge it..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.