battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by seabreeze02, Dec 10, 2012.

1. seabreeze02 macrumors newbie

How long should a macbook battery last for once completely charged? Mine is only lasting about an hour if that. I got this new/refurb macbook and I think the battery is shot.

2. simsaladimbamba

What are you doing while on battery?

• BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

As above it depends what you're doing.

As an example - if i am running a high end game on my MBP - it can drain the battery in 45 minutes.

If i am browsing the web (no flash) and trying to save power, I can get 6+ hours reasonably easily.

4. seabreeze02 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm doing emails and checking FB posts. That's it. NOthing else is open. Now it won't even hold a charge at all. I allow it to charge fully - green light is on the little charger thing, I start to write an email and within 5 min., computer goes off. The only way I can use it is to have it plugged in. Piece of CRAP! I'm sending it back. I bought it as a refurb and it has a 90 day warranty - thank goodness!!
    NO MORE trying to save money. I'm going to just get a refund and buy a new one from apple.

HOw do you erase everything on it so they can't get anything off it? So if they open up safari, they won't be able to see what I have browsed

5. simsaladimbamba

Have you even looked at the link provided in post #2 to find out what might be going on? It could save you the trouble from returning the Mac, but then again, ignorance is bliss.

As for removing everything:
    You need to to click on the SECURITY OPTIONS button in the ERASE tab of Disk Utility to choose your method of securely erasing everything, but ZERO OUT will suffice.

6. seabreeze02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also.. when you restart the macbooks, does it make a melody sound when starting up like the ibooks did or no? This macbook makes a kind of grinding sound like a DVD is trying to load when I restart.

7. simsaladimbamba

A Mac normally chimes at startup to tell you everything is okay, but it may be turned off due to muting the volume.
    If you have a MacBook (not Air or Pro), then that optical disk drive (ODD) checking sound is normal, though one firmware update removed it from some models, as far as I remember.

8. seabreeze02 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. simsaladimbamba

Does that mean you looked at Activity Monitor and/or checked the battery's health status then? Since you did not report that, I presumed you have not done that, but then again, this is your thread, and thus you can do or not do and post or not post whatever you want to get or not get any help.

Have a good day, my passive aggressiveness is rising with people like you, and I do not want to hurt that fluffy cat over there. Spinach.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Defintely sounds like you got a bad battery there. No matter what you are running, nothing would kill it in five minutes.

To erase the disk, just hold command-r when rebooting to get to the Recovery HD. Start Disk Utility and erase Macintosh HD. Then reinstall the OS. You will need to have an Internet connection to do this as the OS gets downloaded from Apple's servers.

If don't have anything particularly super secret on there you can just create a new user account, then login to that account and from there delete your old account.