battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bluebird3, Sep 5, 2013.

1. bluebird3 macrumors regular

I've never owned a lap top before but what's this cycle mean? I mean how does it being calculated? Does the battery had to be Completely dead then fully recharge to be counted as "one cycle" ?

Can all mac laptop model battery be replicable once it no longer hold the charge? Does it simple to replace it?

2. simsaladimbamba

A cycle is a discharge from 100% capacity to 0% capacity, it can be achieved by discharging the battery completely or discharging it once from 100% to 50% and the recharging it again to 100% and then discharging it again to 50%.

Batteries in current Apple notebook computers are not user replaceable, Apple does that for you, and unless you you have a faulty battery or use it incorrectly, you will long have replaced the Mac before the battery gives any serious signs of not holding the juice long enough.
    Apple notebook batteries are rated for 1000 cycles, meaning you would have to drain it every second day continuously for 5 years to have reached that goal.

Anyway:
    • BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

3. Doublea6 macrumors regular

Doublea6

I've heard a lot of different things, but anyone know what the healthiest way to treat your computer's battery? I've heard of people with only like 6 cycles in two years and the such.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The dangerous "I hear." ;)

If u want to learn at much as u can, read up on all those link provided.

If you are relying on Grandpa, uncle, most likely his reference are the old NiCad batteries.

My short suggestion: DUNN WORRY ABOUT IT. By the time your haswell needs a new battery, it will probly either be obsolete and/or ur tired of it and want a change. Simple.

5. Doublea6 macrumors regular

Doublea6

Ha totally.

That's what I've been playing on doing, taking care of my computer, but not letting that get in the way of enjoying it.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the WHAT IS A CYCLE? section of the following link. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    The built-in batteries of newer Mac notebooks can be replaced by Apple when needed. It should be a few years before that's necessary.
    Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. Read the Battery FAQ for more details.