Battery Life

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by makris0000, Oct 22, 2013.

1. makris0000 macrumors member

Not sure if I have to let my battery die then charge it to get better battery life. Since I installed it, I am getting about 4 hours battery life. I have my backlit keyboard on 100% and my screen brightness on at 75%. I have a late 2011 MBP. Before anyone starts saying how I have my brightness too high or any of that crap, let me say that I used to get 5.5 hours with the same settings using Mountain Lion! Is anyone else having battery life issues?

2. Alveezy macrumors regular

That's weird. If i read correctly it suppose to let you gain an hour and a half. I wonder how it is for the newest MacBook Air with an i7 processor.

3. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I am getting WAY better battery life than what I was getting on Mountain Lion!

I have not been paying attention enough to give you exact numbers but I will do so tomorrow and maybe other board members can as well so we can figure out what the hike in battery life is approx.

Why not try it?

4. MacInTheCrack macrumors member

My battery life has improved big time on my MBP. I'm kind of blown away because it was horrible before the upgrade. I've been nothing but impressed with the whole thing. Better battery life. Noticeably faster. Everything works. It was free. Win/Win....

5. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

My battery has GREATLY improved after switching to Mavericks. I installed the OS as soon as it was available this morning. It was at 100% charge. Took it off charge as soon as it was installed. It is now almost 11pm and I'm at 55%. In Mountain Lion I would of already hooked it back up to the charger a few hours ago. Did the same things I did yesterday which were browse the internet, check email, watch Youtube videos, listen to music and use iMessage. Amazing improvement.

6. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

If Spotlight is indexing, that uses lots of CPU and battery.

7. reery macrumors regular

reery

On my rMBP 2012 battery life is also worse. I get now around 5-6 hours instead of 8-10 while just browsing. Spotlight already finished indexing and still the battery drains around 1% every 3 minutes.

On ML battery drained 1% all 10-15 minutes.

I'll try the smc-reset later on, maybe this could help.

8. iBug2 macrumors 68040

I get around 20% better battery life with 2012 rMBP.

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I've measured an extra 15% battery life between ML and Mavericks on a 2011 MBP 15.

And that includes getting rid of gfxcardswitcher for Mavericks.

10. prog99 macrumors newbie

2012 Mbp here.

Installed last night and after all the apps patched themselves and indexing completed i was on 4.45 battery life when I unplugged it this morning.

However this has started creeping up, after an hour of use the estimated life was 5.15 hours. There was no significant CPU activity at this time either, just light web browsing.

Make of this what you will.

11. makris0000 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for letting me know what all of you are experiencing. I am trying out my battery again today and When I was at 100% it said I had about 4:45 and now that I am using it, it is saying at 95% that I have 5:38. I do notice it is faster then ML which is nice but I was just concerned about the battery. I'm starting to think that when I posted this last night after I installed Mavericks that my Mac needed to a day to see what the battery life is really going to be. I am going to be testing out the battery over the next few days carefully checking the times to see how it does.

12. reery macrumors regular

reery

Ok, regarding my issue I can tell that I've solved it by formatting and reinstalling Mavericks.

Resetting SMS or PRAM didn't work out.

This issue was quite strange as I got the same battery life on the integrated GPU just like on the nVidia GPU. So around 4-6 hours surfing or 7 hours idle.
    Real battery life on the integrated is somewhere around 7-10 hours surfing and 12-15 idle.

Also the bottom of the screen wasn't cold anymore as it was used to be. Even while watching the keynote in 1080p the rMBP was cold when touching it. After the update it was always a little bit warmer even in idle state.

So a reinstall helped me with this issue. At least it went fast, taking around 40 minutes.