Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allan in T.Dot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just read in another forum post of the following

"Batteries are covered by Apple for 1000 cycles and 80% charge. If it started with 7 hours of battery life, it should have around 5.5 hours now. How would you describe your use? Usually it just does not charge one day, but the decline is gradual--it might so something like "Get a new battery" in the battery window at the top when you need a new one."
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1578624/

Really? So right now, my 2011 MBA with a 876 battery cycle count has a "Service Battery" condition. My full charge capacity is 5086 mAh. Does that mean Apple would be covering my battery?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just read in another forum post of the following

"Batteries are covered by Apple for 1000 cycles and 80% charge. If it started with 7 hours of battery life, it should have around 5.5 hours now. How would you describe your use? Usually it just does not charge one day, but the decline is gradual--it might so something like "Get a new battery" in the battery window at the top when you need a new one."
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1578624/

Really? So right now, my 2011 MBA with a 876 battery cycle count has a "Service Battery" condition. My full charge capacity is 5086 mAh. Does that mean Apple would be covering my battery?
Is your Mac still under AppleCare coverage? If so, it's possible you could get a replacement. If your Mac is no longer covered by warranty or AppleCare, you will most likely need to buy a new battery, as even defective batteries are not replaced free without Warranty or AppleCare being in force.

Be aware, however, that the "Service Battery" indication appears when your battery health drops below 80%, even if the battery is not defective. You can continue using the battery below 80% health as long as it still holds sufficient charge to meet your needs and does not show other signs of problems, such as swelling.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
You know battery life and health isn't an exact science. There are other variables at play.

Though the above post would be extremely helpful to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.