Battery Life ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by udflyer, Apr 17, 2015.

1. udflyer macrumors regular

I am on my 1st charge.

1. My rMP came only 4% charged , anyone else that low?

2. After I went to 100%, I started working, downloading etc...Currently projecting 6:15 hours left at 95%....

Is that normal....seems low

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

The battery is likely to improve after the first few cycles. But more importantly you are installing stuff and spotlight is indexing. The first day or two is always going to be harder on the battery than normal.

3. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

Battery life has been good so far. I keep the brightness as bright as I need it to be and yesterday I was on 10hrs with 63% still left on the battery.

4. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

Mind explaining this further? 10 hours and 63% left seems unbelievable to me. Not trying to be a jerk, but just wondering.

5. Cvx5832, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

Cvx5832 macrumors regular

I run nothing intensive. I read mostly. I don't run benchmarks while on battery and have no more than 5 tabs open with Safari. I browse pictures on Photos, occasionally playing videos. I seldom play videos on a browser. I just read, read, read.

It's totally believable. In my case all that battery is driving is the screen. The rest of the computer is mostly asleep.

Edit: And you don't have 2x electric motors driving fans at minimum 2000rpm.

6. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

I see. That's phenomenal. Still very hard to believe, but I do not doubt your word. Will have to give it a try on my MBr. Thanks for the additional info!

7. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

To early for me to tell, since I am on the road and dropbox is still downloading ****. But I am thinking 7-8 hours battery from early impressions, not great, but okay.

8. objektør macrumors regular

objektør

Thanks. Good to know. This is how I'll use mine with some occasional iMovie and Sketchup.

9. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

I forgot to mention the keyboard backlight. While I do use it, I have it go off after 10 seconds.

10. GiantCow macrumors member

Sounds like how much charge is in the battery after unboxing varies. Is there a proper way to do a first charge on a Li-Ion battery? Let it run down pretty low first or just connect it to the charger straight away?

11. newellj macrumors 601

You will get lots of opinions about Li batteries but I think that the expert consensus is that running them down lower than ~1/3 is not good for the battery. It helps the software to calibrate the battery runtime/% charged so you may feel like you've improved battery performance, but that's not the same thing. I would charge it up fully out of the box.