Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Chris Crowl, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Chris Crowl macrumors newbie

I have had my 1.2GHz rMB for about a week now. I am absolutely loving it so far!

However, I am only seeing about 5-6 hours of battery life doing very normal web browsing, email, itunes tasks. Apple claims I should be getting around 9 hours.

I am running OS X 10.10.4. I did not migrate my machine from a previous backup, it was a clean install. I have checked the activity monitor, and nothing seems to be eating up a lot of power.

Have other people been experience this amount of battery life?

2. Pandarama macrumors member

Pandarama

3. Chris Crowl thread starter macrumors newbie

Brightness set to about 50%.

4. palmwangja macrumors regular

palmwangja

Then check "Activity Monitor" to find a suspect who eat up your battery.

5. Chris Crowl thread starter macrumors newbie

I have checked that. Nothing seems to be majorly eating up power.

Chrome & Chrome Helper occasionally pop up to around 30%
    Something called kernal_task pops up to about that percentage as well.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, Apple doesn't claim that you should be getting around 9 hours. They claim the rMB is capable of getting up to 9 hours, under very specific conditions, which may not match your operating conditions. There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

7. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

Under light use (WiFi browsing and email using Safari with ClickToFlash and AdBlock) and at about 50% brightness I'm getting the 9 hours Apple claims. Processor sits at 1-2% with bursts up to about 30% (when scrolling etc) and temps are in the 40-50C range.

But the power management on these machines is so highly tuned, it doesn't take much to make a huge difference. Under "normal" use (WiFi Browsing, Background music playing, email, MS Office apps, some DB work, occasional blips for Time Machine, Dropbox etc and brightness at around 75%), I'm seeing 6 hours or a bit more. Processor sits at 5%-75%, temps usually in the 50-60C range.

Under heavy use (Cpu in the 30%-90% range, Temps hovering in the 70's) my battery range is more like 4-5 hours. Overall rMB battery life for me is better than my MBA, just a little for heavy use, and extending its lead as usage drops.

Things like using Chrome, or not using utilities like ClickToFlash and AdBlock, screen brightness, quality of WiFi signal, Transparency settings, background programs running (spotlight, time machine, dropbox, AV, pandora, itunes...), battery health, screen resolution, etc can make a big difference. Looking at Power usage in Activity monitor can sometimes help but not always as a lot of little things can add up. Run through all your system settings for anything that might impact CPU usage, paw through all your startup items and launch daemons to make sure nothing you don't need is there, think about usage patters like keeping an idle app open vs stopping and restarting it a number of times through the day. There is often a lot you can do.

As an early adopter of the very first MacBook Air and a user of many models since, I've learned a lot of optimization tricks that I continued to use over the years. They got less impactful with each generation of the Air, but I think I'm reaping some rewards with the rMB now.

Good luck with your rMB!

8. Pandarama macrumors member

Pandarama

I think Apple overestimated a bit the battery life. That's a reason to ask for a new product before the 1-year warranty ;)

9. sdugoten macrumors regular

When you on battery, don't use Chrome and switch to Safari, it helps a LOT on battery usage. I am getting around 6-7 hours max on normal web browsing, so, you are in line with the rest of the people.

10. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

I often still use Chrome for most things (I also use Safari as well, and Firefox, as I'm a web developer), and while sdugoten's suggestion is true that Safari does save battery life significantly, if you insist on continuing to use Chrome (Safari has it's pluses and minuses), I would recommend installing Chrome Canary instead. It fixes all the battery and lag issues from Chrome's stable build. I've been using Canary exclusively for over a month now and have not run into any major issues, and it's battery optimization and energy usage is on par w/ Safari.

11. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

around the same, and I normally run close to 25% brightness.

12. hangkous macrumors member

Chrome... hmmm... I have a 2Gb MacBook Air (OS X 10.10.3) and it was slow, running hot and fan blowing like crazy (with Flash disabled). Until I found out 2 weeks ago that if I started to use Safari instead of Chrome, all problems went away. Safari is running fast all the time, fan hardly ever blows. So Chrome is clearly using more resources than Safari.