Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HighTechToid

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2013
Yosemite isn't that great with battery life and apple pretty much ignored mentioning anything about battery life with this update. How has it been thus far for those of you testing? Any improvements? Same?

SG-

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
they said in the WWDC keynote that machines will get an extra hour of usage because of optimizations to apps and Metal display system.

10.10 already gives me 8-9 hours of actual usage on my 13" 2015 with display dimmed by 2-3 notches so I'm not sure if that's actually 'bad'.

HighTechToid

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2013
Don't recall that part, but thanks! My question was more in relation to the huge dip in battery life from Yosemite. So an extra hour from the 4 hours I lost in the update or a return to what battery life was before plus an extra hour?

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Don't recall that part, but thanks! My question was more in relation to the huge dip in battery life from Yosemite. So an extra hour from the 4 hours I lost in the update or a return to what battery life was before plus an extra hour?

If Yosemite dropped your battery life by 4 hours you probably should have taken your computer in. That's light years away from normal. Also no this isn't going to magically give you 5 hours of battery life. I'd say 1 hour is already being optimistic and that 1 hour is probably only relevant for modern 1 yr old or newer machines running basically only Apple apps.

kotty

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
With El capitan I think my battery life went down.

With Yosemite I used to get like 6-7 hours. With El capitan 30% was consumed in almost 1 hour

kotty

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
I don't think it is really practical to be judging battery life with a first release DP 1. What happens with GM could be a heck of a lot different than now.
Sure. I'm talking about the DP1.

I think it's the only complain right now. Because I'm really liking this beta

SG-

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
i think the power management is just a bit off, i've noticed my battery drains a bit faster and that my machine in general (rMBP 2015 13") feels a lot warmer when doing the same tasks as before. i'm sure these things will improve as future releases come out and in time for the public beta.

rohithbasu

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
running El Capitan on a baseline mid 2012 15" retina macbook pro model and battery life is vastly improved, im seeing mavericks level numbers again that was simply not present in yosemite and the graphics performance is extremely smooth
i am LOVING it

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

There is no reason why you should have seen a dip in Yosemite. I have a 2012 MBA which is only suppose to get 4-5 hours new out of the box. I saw upwards of 6 with Yosemite because of the under the hood improvements (They said everyone should see about 1 hour improvement). Now my battery health is down to 82% and I'm still seeing 5 hours on El Capitan.

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
I've noticed about a 30-60 minute increase going from Yosemite to El Cap on my 13" 2013 rMBP, doing basic word processing, and light Internet browsing with the occasional YouTube video. Have yet to try it on more intensive usage patterns (Steam, Diablo III).

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
i think the power management is just a bit off, i've noticed my battery drains a bit faster and that my machine in general (rMBP 2015 13") feels a lot warmer when doing the same tasks as before. i'm sure these things will improve as future releases come out and in time for the public beta.

I'm seeing the exact same thing - running warm, faster battery drain. However, my Late 13 rMBP is also doing a brand new Time Machine backup. Hopefully things will normalize after that ends.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hey guys, see this. A remarkable time estimating.
Screen+Shot+2015-06-15+at+01.36.20.png

If the final product can let my MacBook air run so long like this, I would blame Windows battery life to ashes if I can~~~ ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.