Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesGoodman, Jan 5, 2016.

1. JamesGoodman macrumors member

Is the battery life better on new machines? Or is it just that my needs take little toll on the rMB battery. I've had the machine on since 7am EST and it is now 2pm and I am at 46 percent. Writing and now then web research. One day into it I am already adjusting to the keyboard, but I almost adjust to keyboards quickly, and I was not crazy about the keyboard on my late 2012 old AIR. It had lost the spring in its step long ago.

2. dannyar macrumors 6502

That seems pretty normal to me. 7 hours of usage and you still half roughly half your battery remaining. How much more were you expecting?

3. JamesGoodman thread starter macrumors member

Oh I was not complaining. Reading here I was led to believe it would be considerably less. I am thrilled. I live in the city and never am more than a few hours from an outlet.

4. kipperkip macrumors newbie

With the brightness around 60% and the keyboard backlight off or very low I'm consistently getting the following:

15% per hour battery drain using Chrome - mostly reading tech, deal and food websites, no video
    20% per hour battery drain using Netflix

Am I correct in concluding that this is less battery life than most are seeing with similar use cases?

TIA

5. dannyar macrumors 6502

At that rate your looking at just about 6 hours of usage with a 15% per hour discharge. That seems low to me considering your brightness is only at 60% and you have your keyboard backlight off. I know apple rated this laptop at 9 hours and most don't get that but its closer to 7-7:30 from my day to day so far and I don't have backlight off and im doing just casual browsing.

6. JamesGoodman thread starter macrumors member

I may be having beginner's luck but I'm getting more than that my first few days with the machine, which by the way I love. I've got the brightness at about 75 percent and I'm just writing and occasionally surfing the web but I am definitely getting the promised nine hours doing that light duty.

7. dannyar macrumors 6502

9 hours is definitely doable based on your workload and usage. If your just browsing the web and occasionally typing documents and not going on youtube etc I don't see a reason why you cant get 9 hours. My 7-7:3- hours usually includes a bit of youtube and video streaming so if I cut that out im sure 9 hours isn't out of the realm