Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sionharris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Is it best to leave my computer on or off and plugged in or on the battery? My last iBook had a battery life of about 12 minutes after a year or two, so I am keen to avoid this happening again if possible.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Is it best to leave my computer on or off and plugged in or on the battery? My last iBook had a battery life of about 12 minutes after a year or two, so I am keen to avoid this happening again if possible.

Did you/do you calibrate your mac batteries?

sionharris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
It arrived about a week ago and I will be calibrating it for the first time today, then once every month or two after that.

I never did it for the iBook (wasn't my computer, I just used it a lot and left the maintenance to other people).

Any advice re: my original two questions?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Leaving it on (sleeping) and plugged in shouldn't do much harm to your battery. Your battery has a finite number of charge cycles - if it's above 95% then you won't be charging it having it plugged in.

I run mine plugged in the majority of the time. It's coming up for 3 years old and I still get just over 2 hours on the original battery :D

sepu

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
hey guys ,,, how do you calibrate your battery ?
I just got mine new Macbook Pro 2.33 like 4 days ago ...
can anyone point me out how to do that ? Thanks
I already on my 2 cycle ... so Im guessing the more cycle the worst the battery gets right ?

I use my MBP C2D plugged it all the time that shouldnt be a problem. Im guessing.

Thanks.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
hey guys ,,, how do you calibrate your battery ?
I just got mine new Macbook Pro 2.33 like 4 days ago ...
can anyone point me out how to do that ? Thanks
I already on my 2 cycle ... so Im guessing the more cycle the worst the battery gets right ?

I use my MBP C2D plugged it all the time that shouldnt be a problem. Im guessing.

Thanks.
Calibrate your battery:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

And yes eventually every cycle is a tiny step to a dead battery. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.