Battery Life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BulkHedd, Sep 30, 2007.

1. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Last night I made sure my iPhone was charged fully before I undocked it and went to bed. I turned off wifi and bluetooth. I did not listen to any music or get any calls, e-mails or texts all night. I get up this morning (about 8 hours later) and the batter meter is down probaby about a fifth of the way. Is this normal??
    Actually I just went to the usage screen and it says 8 minutes usage and 9 hours, 33 minutes standby since the last full charge.

2. cmaier macrumors G3

Do you have email account(s) set up? If so, how often do you have it set to check for new email?

The wi-fi seems to use less power than edge, so if it was checking for email on edge every 15 minutes, I could see it using that much battery over night.

Note that it uses battery even just checking for email, even if you don't receive any.

3. vega07 macrumors 65816

Are you on 1.1.1? There have been reports of people getting only half a day of standby with zero usage on a full charge.

4. basicfiend macrumors member

My battery life dropped significantly after the update. I used to go 2 days (36 hrs) between charges. With 1.1.1 and no change in usage patterns, I'm down to 16-20 hrs. My current thought is that the firmware upgrade has decreased the efficiency of the Edge modem. Grrr.

5. suneun macrumors member

I agree that I seem to be getting less charge right now. I'm on the 1.1.1, never had third party stuff installed. My install bugged out and I had to restore. Today when I checked the stats, mine strangely said "Usage: 16 hrs. Standby: 16 hrs." Battery life shows roughly 1/5 left. I've done 1-2 hrs of webbrowsing, 15 mins of music, and 30 mins of voice in that time.

I did let it go all the way down to 0% (it shut itself off after warning me at 20% and 10%) on Saturday morning which is the first time I've done that.

6. srt4cane macrumors member

Yea i've definitely noticed a decrease in battery life since the update. I used to be able to use my phone for 1-2 hours of internet browsing before the battery meter showed any decrease. Now, after only 5 hours of standby time (i.e. no actual usage other than turning the screen on and off) i'm down to about 75%. Give me back my good battery life Apple!!!

7. overcast macrumors 6502a

Honestly, my battery usage has gone up slightly since the update. My last charge at the 20% warning, I was at 6hrs usage and 2 days 17 hours standby. I'll take a pic in a couple of days for you guys.

8. rayward macrumors 65816

Add me to the list of people who's noticed a drop off in battery life since the upgrade. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the increased speaker volume that we can now get (which would explain why it was limited in the first place - to save juice).

9. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Luckily I have never run into battery issues on my iPhone.
    If I leave it to charge overnight it lasts me more than a day.

10. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

What increase in speaker volume? No increase here from what I can tell.

11. projectle macrumors 6502

My Battery results seem backwards to what you guys are describing. I spent the whole day with my iPhone on playing music with WIFI, Bluetooth and Edge on and found that I still had ~half of my battery left over when I was walking out the door.

To me, that is a pretty good improvement. It always gets me the whole day, however it usually is giving me the "WARNING: 20% Battery Remaining" message by the time I get home.

12. cmaier macrumors G3

I'm seeing no change either way

13. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I have a couple of e-mail accounts but they are set up to check manually only. Except for my Yahoo account, which is supposed to push it to me.

I rarely use the speaker so I doubt that would be it.

Just checked my phone and right now it's been used for 54m, standby for 6 hours, 1 minute since last full charge and I can see no visible decrease on the battery. Kind of strange. Actually more usage and only 3 hours less on standby. I suppose it could be where I was. When I posted the original message I was house-sitting for my parents so maybe the signal there wasn't as good or something.

14. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

So funny how each experience is different... weird.

I got better life and reception with 1.0.2.... then I went to 1.1.1 and my reception went down, and my battery life went up. In fact, I now charge every other day, instead of every day.

15. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

I've noticed poorer battery life as well after the 1.1.1 update. I got about half a day out of moderate use vs. 3 days. I guess 1.1.2 is not too far off. :rolleyes:

16. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Ok, usage update: right now I'm a 1 hour, 18 minutes usage, 9 hours, 21 minutes standby and I can't detect that the battery level has gone down at all.

Only 2 things are different from the other day:

(1) I'm in a different location

(2) I had the phone plugged in all night last night. Before I just had it plugged in until it registered as fully charged. Maybe when it shows fully charged it is only mostly charged?

17. cmaier macrumors G3

I suspect yahoo push. Probably on yahoo's end.