Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NotOwning, Jul 20, 2008.

1. NotOwning macrumors member

I know there have been 100's of posts on this, but I was wondering if someone could give me a general overview of how to improve battery life. Today I took my phone out of the charger at about 10 AM and by 11 PM the phone was dead. In total throughout the day I sent about 30 txts and recieved about the same amount. Had about 10 min of actual phone usage, surfed the web for 10-20 min, and listened to music for under 45 min. All other times the phone was on sleep mode. It seems like the phone should last a bit longer then 13 hrs with very little use.

In case anyone is confused this is a 16 GB 3G (Black) iPhone

Thanks in Advance!

2. madgreek macrumors newbie

Check out this topic <http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=520902>

3. NotOwning thread starter macrumors member

I read that, and that is well and good for how to save battery life while surfing the web, but that doesn't have anything to do with saving battery life while txting or calling, or listening to non-streaming music

4. cantankerously macrumors regular

disable the following:

3G, Location Services, Auto Brightness, Push, and WiFi. You should see 24 hours of standby if you're just using it for txt, GSM calls, and iPod.

5. cosplayerkyo macrumors newbie

I like to note that with mine:

When I was first using my iPhone 3G, by this time in the morning, the battery would already be near half dead.

Now its only a quarter gone. Guess the batterys getting stronger and better everyday :)

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I'm so confused because right now my iphone is on some "mega charge" Seriously.

Normally I'll be at work for 3-4 hrs and my battery is already halfway dead. and then I usually plug it in by around 8pm.

But I charged it yesterday, early afternoon and since I have done a lot of wifi web searching, game playing and over half an hour of talk time. I have done all of that and it has been nearly 24 hours since I charged it. and it still shows a FULL CHARGE!!

I don't know what to think. maybe the display is wrong? I haven't gotten any battery warnings either.

7. NotOwning thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I wish I could say the same :)

Out of curiosity I have read that sometimes "discharging" the phone can help, how exactly is that done? Just letting the phone die completely?

8. JonboyDC macrumors regular

That's it exactly -- just sit down and play a game, ignoring the 20% and 10% battery warnings, until it shuts itself down. And then let it do a full charge before using it again.

The first couple of days, my battery seemed to be running down very fast even though I wasn't using the phone much -- now it lasts much longer, and only really runs down when I spend a lot of time playing games.

9. NotOwning thread starter macrumors member

For the recharge does it matter if I charge it while it's on versus leaving the phone off while fully charging it

10. JonboyDC macrumors regular

I think I played some Scrabble while mine was recharging.

(Mind, everything I've heard is that this kind of discharge/recharge strategy is not supposed to be necessary with new batteries -- but I know it helped my battery life.)

11. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

See, I let my battery get to 20%, probably a bit less, plugged it in all night last night and now I can't seem to get my battery above half!

I dont' know if the battery is REALLY fully charged or if its only really charging half and there is a problem with the display

12. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Don't be ridiculous ... just turn off location services, it's the biggest battery hog. Turn all those other things off and you might as well just keep your iPhone shut down all day.

13. NotOwning thread starter macrumors member

Problem there is I use the location services.. If I turn it off I can't let my maps use it for GPS right?