Battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michaellynn, Dec 28, 2008.

1. michaellynn macrumors newbie

michaellynn

I just went through the forum to find the best way to charge and discharge the battery. I very carefully followed the instructions. My battery fully charged on m aluminum MBP says 3:24 for time. I thought the battery was suppose to last over 5 hours.

How do I check if I am using the 9600 chip for battery life and not graphics power?

or is 5hrs for a battery just false advertising?

2. jbussiere macrumors member

You can get 5 hours of battery if you don't have many processes and apps running. I have 4:16 right now w/ just entourage and safari running. Also, dim your screen as much as possible.

To check if you are running the 9600 you go to
    System Preferences->Energy Saver...if it says better performance, than you are on the 9600, if it says better battery life, your running the 9400. To change this, it will make you log off.

You can check your battery life by either getting istat pro or going to About this Mac->Power->after you've charged your batter to 100% see if the Charge Remaining is the same as the Full Charge capacity.

3. iphoner2010 macrumors member

My new MBP says the same thing, and it really depends on every aspect of the computer. You will only find yourself getting 5 hours if your brightness is the lowest possible (while still on), if you are in energy saving mode, if the BL keyboard is turned off, and if you only have one app on at a time. :apple: