Battery life

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darrri, Aug 12, 2009.

1. darrri macrumors newbie

Hi,

my MacBook Pro's capacity is only 40% of full potential.

When should I buy a new battery?

(Or should I just buy a new computer :)

2. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Buy a new one when your current one can no longer hold a charge for the amount of time you require out of it

3. darrri thread starter macrumors newbie

Buy a new one rather than replacing the batter? ... Yet the computer is just fine!

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I believe he meant buy a new battery when it can't hold a charge long enough to support your needs. You don't need a new mac if your current one is working fine.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would buy a battery off of eBay. The batteries are usually much cheaper that way.

The 2006 models are still good computers. If it seems a little sluggish as well. Then try to upgrade the RAM and hard drive, from Newegg.com or other cheap online retailer. They are cheap upgrades and give an amazing performance boost.

6. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

Send the computer to me and buy a new one.

I wouldnt put anyone through the grief of buying a new battery. Ill deal with the strife and anguish for you.

7. thewright1 macrumors regular

thewright1

I've been seeing a lot of batteries on eBay going for about a 3rd of the price then the batteries in the Apple Store. I know eBay is the King of Knock Off though, would it be safe to put one of those batteries in your computer?? Last thing I want is for my computer to blow up.

8. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Thirteen months ago I bought a FastMac battery for my MacBook. It's gone through 196 cycles in that time and it's full capacity is now 2011mAh. I don't remember the exact mAh but it was over two years of use and a hell of a lot more cycles before my original Apple battery got this low. In hindsight I'd have bought an Apple one.

9. Viljami macrumors newbie

I have a linked problem so I decided to put my question on this thread, hopefully ok for everyone.

I have owned MB Pro for about three years and it has in practice been always connected to power cable, only very rarely I have used it with battery. Now my computer has started to switch off immediately, if the power cable is cut off accidentally. I have also tried to start the computer without plugging in the power cable, and nothing happens. Is it really possible that the battery can finish that completely, even if not used hardly at all? Is there an application where I could see the current battery capacity?

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

System Profiler -> Power

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

For something a bit more refined, you can try coconutBattery.

12. Viljami macrumors newbie

Sorry but I cannot find this "Power" option from there. According to coconutBattery, the battery capacity is 100%. This gets even more weird. Is there anything in the settings I could have ruined?

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I suspect you will need to replace the battery. Take the computer to an Apple store and ask if they have a spare you can test with.