battery lifetime?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by seamustry, Sep 22, 2008.

1. seamustry macrumors member

how soon before i have to get a new battery for 2g touch? how long do batteries usually last (total lifetime) on these things?

2. wpwj40e macrumors regular

At the rate the 2g touch uses its battery - if you play games or do much besides listening to music - you will be charging at least 2x a day assuming you actually use it every day and 1/2 your usage is beyond tunes. In which case the battery (good for 500 charges) will be long gone in about 9 months.

Suggest a warranty!

3. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

It really depends on how often you use it. In my experience the batteries in these things tend to last the lifetime of the device. I've got a 1g nano that is on its original battery and still going strong. Same goes for my shuffle, my brother's original zune, and psp.

On the other hand if you were to use it a lot (a good part of every day) like many people use their laptop then the battery will die much sooner. Either way I say don't even worry about it. There are replacement touch battery kits out there if it really dies and more than likely you'll be looking for a replacement touch by then anyway.

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

It's not how often you charge, but how much. If you use the 'Pod from 100 to %40 capacity (by the way, you should try to keep it at %40 overnight and when you aren't using it. Check this out for more details.)

Also, the terminals on Lithium Ion batteries will slowly increase in resistance, setting an upper bound on usability to about 3 years.

5. seamustry thread starter macrumors member

does warranty cover battery life?

6. mariotheotaku macrumors regular

yes

7. seamustry thread starter macrumors member

so the 1 year warranty that comes with the ipod is good if the battery dies within that one year i suppose.

8. dbonds macrumors newbie

From my past experience at the Apple store with nanos, they told me you're eligible for warrant replacement if the device falls to less than half of the advertised battery usage. I've been a heavy user with my nanos and would bring them in as the battery degrades. They'd do *something* in the back over the course of a day or two to verify the degredation and a couple days later I'd get a new/refurb. I believe I've heard that they have a battery replacement service for the touch/iphone as well even after warranty ($40?). Something I might use as the touch seems a little less disposable than the nano and I'll probably want to keep it going beyond the standard warranty period. Not sure how the extended warranty applies.

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Applecare protection plan (APP) covers batteries in iPods under the same guideline as the new euqipment warranty. The device has to to have 50% or less of its normal battery capacity.

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCare_Protect_Plan_NA_en.pdf

[​IMG]

10. SNeil macrumors newbie

What if I keep connected the Touch to charging cable (either through wall charger or a computer), while using it, what effect will it have on the battery life ?
    Will it be better using the Touch this way ? For example if I want to play a graphics intensive game and instead of using the battery, if I play it while connected to the charger, will it be better ?

11. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

If you're fully charged, the touch should run off of the wall. But if you keep your iPod at 100% charge all the time, it'll lose battery capacity quicker.