Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An updated MacBook Air could be coming in the not too distant future, according to certifications for a new MacBook Air battery recently filed in China and Denmark.

A 49.9Wh battery with a capacity of 4380mAh was spotted by a MySmartPrice contributor in certification filings with UL Demko and the China Certification Corporation, regulatory bodies that must approve and test new hardware used by Apple and other companies.

macbookairbatteryUL.jpg

The battery appears to be destined for a future MacBook Air, given the capacity. The current MacBook Air has a 49.9Wh battery as this model does, though Apple is using a new A2389 model number that is different from the A1965 model number used in the last few MacBook Air generations.

macbookairbatteryccc.jpg

There's no word on when a new MacBook Air might launch, and these kinds of filings can sometimes happen months ahead of when a new product comes out. Multiple rumors have suggested that the MacBook Air will be one of the first Macs to get an Apple Silicon chip, and the new Arm-based machine could come before the end of 2020.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes a refreshed MacBook Air with an Apple Silicon chip could come in the fourth quarter of 2020 or the first quarter of 2021, while DigiTimes has said that a new Arm-based MacBook Air will be released in 2020.

Apple has confirmed that the first Apple Silicon Macs are expected before the end of the year, but has not provided details on which machines will be upgraded first. Apple already upgraded the MacBook Air in 2020 with 10th-generation Intel processors and a scissor switch keyboard, but it's not out of the question that a second update could come in 2020 given the swap to Apple Silicon chips.

The 49.9Wh battery in the current MacBook Air provides up to 11 hours of battery life when browsing the web and up to 12 hours when using the Apple TV app for watching movies.

If the next MacBook Air set to receive this new 49.9Wh battery is an Apple Silicon Mac, there could be some potential gains in battery life even if the battery size isn't increasing.

Apple Silicon chips are expected to be much more power efficient than the current Intel chips used in the MacBook Air lineup, so in addition to performance improvements, battery life could be bumped up as well.

For more on what we're expecting for the next MacBook Air, check out our MacBook Air roundup, and for details on Apple's transition to Apple Silicon chips, read our in-depth guide.

Article Link: Battery Likely for Upcoming MacBook Air Spotted in Certification Listings

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
In my opinion, it would make more sense if Apple were to release their first silicon chip in the MacBook Air to make it more cost-effective and powerful instead of releasing a pro product.
I actually think they will bring back the MacBook and have a silicon chip inside of that model first before it gets out to the other lines.. I believe the MacBook from a few years back was a fan-less design.. if so, putting an A series chip in that body would make sense before we see a wider integration. but that's just my .2c

fishmongerer

Cancelled
Nov 14, 2016
People are too optimistic. What Apple and others "can" do and what they "will" do are two different things. They do not want to upset the apple cart of prices/performance and undermine their other products. What is certain to happen is Apple saves money which helps the shareholders, not the consumer.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
It seems odd to me that the Air would be first because either: 1) AS has power/efficiency that makes it more compelling than the MacBook Pro at a lower price or 2) the new Air doesn’t have better power/efficiency than the current MacBook Pro, and everyone declares AS a disappointment.

I assume Apple would prefer the former and let the MBP take the hit in the short term, but neither seems great. Why not debut the new silicon in the high-end line?

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Apple should have just wiped a clean slate and launched all Apple Silicon Macs in 2021. Just update the current form factors with Intel one last time for the disaster that is 2020. It would be a fitting end to a era dominance and the beginning of a new one.

Reactions: fishmongerer

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Apple should have just wiped a clean slate and launched all Apple Silicon Macs in 2021. Just update the current form factors with Intel one last time for the disaster that is 2020. It would be a fitting end to a era dominance and the beginning of a new one.
I can’t see Apple being ready to replace the Xeon in the Mac Pro and iMac Pro with Apple Silicon just yet. I think the MacBook Air would be the perfect starter Apple silicon Mac, doesn’t even have to be the current form factor. This could be a 12 or 14 inch model.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
In my opinion, it would make more sense if Apple were to release their first silicon chip in the MacBook Air to make it more cost-effective and powerful instead of releasing a pro product.

Releasing a MacBook Air will, as you note, offer an entry-level product into the Apple Silicon ecosystem.

However, also offer a MacBook Pro will show Apple's confidence that Apple Silicon can run with Intel in the "mid-pro" market. And that will boost the market's confidence in Apple Silicon.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It seems odd to me that the Air would be first because either: 1) AS has power/efficiency that makes it more compelling than the MacBook Pro at a lower price or 2) the new Air doesn’t have better power/efficiency than the current MacBook Pro, and everyone declares AS a disappointment.

I assume Apple would prefer the former and let the MBP take the hit in the short term, but neither seems great. Why not debut the new silicon in the high-end line?

The Air is the most logical choice because:

1. MacBook Air sells at a much higher volume compared to MacBook Pro.

2. Users of MacBook Air aren't likely running any commercial software. Most of them are likely using Mac App Store.

3. MacBook Pro users are more likely to rely on commercial software, which will take time to convert.

Apple's immediate goal is to prove the ARM Macs have no compatibility issues and can function as basic consumer devices. Proving performance and attracting professional users? That's Phase 2 of the project.

MayaTlab

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
So can we assume that whichever chip Apple will put in this machine will be able to sip power like the A12z in the iPad Pro, compare the latter's battery capacity to this one and then jump for joy at the thought of being able to use this machine all day, iPhone 11 style, without worrying much about usage ? I'm dying for a Mac with a true, all day battery life, even doing a bit of photoshop, light video editing or video streaming.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
So can we assume that whichever chip Apple will put in this machine will be able to sip power like the A12z in the iPad Pro, compare the latter's battery capacity to this one and then jump for joy at the thought of being able to use this machine all day, iPhone 11 style, without worrying much about usage ? I'm dying for a Mac with a true, all day battery life, even doing a bit of photoshop, light video editing or video streaming.

Not really. The A12Z still uses active cooling and runs somewhere between 6-10W. The Intel Ice Lake processors draw up to 9-10W, so it's not going to be a massive difference.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
I actually think they will bring back the MacBook and have a silicon chip inside of that model first before it gets out to the other lines.. I believe the MacBook from a few years back was a fan-less design.. if so, putting an A series chip in that body would make sense before we see a wider integration. but that's just my .2c
I agree the form factor/design of the fanless 12” MacBook was gorgeous, it was just a grossly underpowered machine and a thermal disaster. And don’t get me started on the soldered SSD...

By all means, I’d welcome back a similarly svelte design but only if the rumoured significant performance and power efficiency upgrades actually manifest with ARM.

But at this point, they may as well consign the “MacBook” line to history and just stick with the Air and Pro. This shouldn’t mirror the iPad where you have the 3 lines of budget/education, Air and Pro models.

The Cappy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market

I agree, mostly.
I don't think there's anything wrong with Apple releasing an Air with AS in it, but if none of the new AS machines has any power, then a narrative will be established that'll persist long after Apple disproves it. I could see the 13" MBP coming first then then 16" later with a better chip. I prefer the larger screens, but if the first AS machines are 13" MBPs I'll get one. If the first AS machines are just the wimpy lowest end Airs though, I'll hold off.

gregrichards

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
I can’t believe how frequently the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro are being updated now. For a long time it was like they were not a priority for Apple and they were hardly being updated. I just bought the new MacBook Pro 13 and the new keyboard is a massive improvement from the 2019 one I sold. Is the switch by Apple from Intel chips to their own going to significantly worsen the resale value of the current models more than usual?

souko

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
In my opinion it makes sense to release MacBook Pro 13” as first. Intel was weak there. It shows that Apple is confident. And I do not think, that it makes sense to do it slower. In two years all the Macs will have Apple Silicon...

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
I agree the form factor/design of the fanless 12” MacBook was gorgeous, it was just a grossly underpowered machine and a thermal disaster. And don’t get me started on the soldered SSD...

By all means, I’d welcome back a similarly svelte design but only if the rumoured significant performance and power efficiency upgrades actually manifest with ARM.

But at this point, they may as well consign the “MacBook” line to history and just stick with the Air and Pro. This shouldn’t mirror the iPad where you have the 3 lines of budget/education, Air and Pro models.
The MacBook always felt in my mind, like a test bed chassies for an A series chip.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't used internally as such.. the fan-less design was kind of a giveaway.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012

I had one of those. I really liked it (no moving parts so it was whisper quiet). It was over-priced for what it was but otherwise it was so small and light; absolutely fantastic. Pity the keyboard sucked. An A-series based version with the new/old keyboard would be an awesome machine.

(I can't join Apple on their ARM journey because I need x86 for virtualization, but it's definitely interesting to see what Apple's doing.)

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
The current ARM processors are perfect for a MacBook Air and the lowest of the MacBook Pro 13. There is going to have to be massive scaling of processor engineering and design to get the ARM up to all the performance properties built into the Intel processor at the i7, i9 xeon levels and this take time and money. And Apple has the money, This is why Apple did not want people running bench marks on the Mac mini A12. Will Apple engineer achieve their goals? Yes they will but you are looking at 2 to 3 years of massive engineering and development to reach the upper levels of the Intel processors. It is not going to happen over night.

Reactions: mr_jomo

justinrlees

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
Sorry - novice here. But can somebody tell me if it would be possible for Apple to release their own Silicon Chip that could be installed in the current Mac Pro? Are their issues with doing so, in terms of hardware capability? Or is the logic board and components made to only work with Intel?

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
The MacBook always felt in my mind, like a test bed chassies for an A series chip.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't used internally as such.. the fan-less design was kind of a giveaway.
Maybe so but that’s exactly where it should have stayed, in the testing lab.
[automerge]1595968951[/automerge]
I would rather see an ARM MacBook first. The form factor and portability of that chassis was incredible.
See above. It’ll be the same thing whatever name they put on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.