Battery longevity question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by powpow, Jul 28, 2008.

1. powpow macrumors member

So I just got my iPhone 3G, and I'm very happy. I came across this article on the forums that discusses the 80/20 rule to prolong battery life.

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on this for either the 3G or 2G phones (I'm assuming they use the same batteries).

Is there any reason to cycle the battery all the way down on my first use? Or should I just charge whenever?

Thanks.

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

The only reason to cycle the battery all the way down is to calibrate the battery meter so that it more accurately reflects the amount of charge left in the battery. Once should do it (some recommend twice). After you've done that, just charge it whenever possible and you shouldn't have any issues.

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

What's the average life expectancy for an iPhone battery? Are there ways of easily changing it? or is it like an iPod battery (v. difficult to swap out)?

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

It is very difficult to swap out. I have never done it but i have seen videos of people taking the iphone apart and it looks difficult. I have had my first gen iphone for 6 months and my battery is still great. it last about 48 hrs. i use it constantly too. the 3g may be diff but i have been happy. i always charge mine at half way now and never run out.

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf