Battery loss while sleeping?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nph, Feb 17, 2009.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

Hi

I have the first gen MBP and I am curious of what is normal to loose in battery while sleeping?
    I see my MBP loose about 10% battery capacity if it sleeps (standby mode) for 12 hours.

Is that a normal average and would it differ from MBP to MBA and MB?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Depending on how much capacity is left on the battery of the MacBook Pro (actual capacity, not the charge capacity) it doesn't sound that hard to believe. Have you run coconutbattery lately to check the battery health?

3. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Battery health is fine with 84%. It has always deducted 10% if I let the it sleep. Thing is I never thought if that was high or low so I wnated to check if this was normal with 10% per 12 hours.

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

There are a of of threads about this. Yes that's normal.

5. OngL macrumors member

Mine is MBP unibody 2.53" Ghz model. I fully charge it and leave it on sleep state. After a day, the battery is fully depleted. The full charge capacity is still about 90% from designed capacity).

Why does MBP drain battery really fast even during standby? Windows PC can last a couple days on sleep.

6. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

This is less normal.

7. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

10% is really great. I just tested it and 12 hours overnight it took almost 50% :\ which kinda makes me sad, as I always told people that one of the big + about Macs is their battery life, but these new unibodies are kinda failing in that :( I'll go to an Apple store and ask if that is normal.

BTW, my battery health is 100% after 7 cycles. My White MacBook after almost 500 cycles has about 85% health and lasts longer than this :\

8. be300test macrumors member

battery discharge

From what i know this is normal, the mac keeps the ram powered in sleep, also several power circuits.

9. OngL macrumors member

Windows Notebooks have a few sleep states. Some recently one can even control if we want to turn off everything e.g. USB ports, etc and only powers the RAM. Seems Apple keeps USB on and a lot of others.

10. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Jeebus, these new unibodies are interesting. a 12-hour sleep with my trusty little 12" PowerBook takes out about 5%-6% of the battery. I'm at 196 cycles and 98% health (battery replacement program FTW) :)