Battery Macbook unibody 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maarten22, Aug 8, 2009.

1. maarten22 macrumors newbie

I'm only getting 3,40 hours with my Macbook 17" unibody. The screen on full brightness, keyboard lighting on, msn on, and safari open with mail. Is this normal??

2. Lukeyboy01 macrumors regular

Lukeyboy01

yh make sure you do a full charge then let it die to do that word i cant think of to your battery

3. xcitu macrumors newbie

Yes.
    It says, on Apple site, 8 hours wireless productivity. This have been calculated with low brightness on screen, low keyboard light, bluetooth(+ maybe AirPort) off.
    I have my MBP 13 inch, managed to stay alive 9h(over night) with just battery, though the brightness and keyboard light were turned off.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Calibrating your battery: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Also 3h40m is a normal battery time for full brightness and normal use.
    The screen takes some battery.

7/8 hours of battery life is advertised under these conditions:

Testing conducted by Apple in May 2009 using preproduction 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo–based MacBook Pro units with a Better Battery Life setting. Battery life depends on configuration and use. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information. The wireless productivity test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing various websites and editing text in a word processing document with display brightness set to 50%.

from http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-17inch.html

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

What do you expect on full brightness? Of course it's going to die faster than 8hours. Especially when you have everything on :p

6. maarten22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I expected it to be shorter, but half the time is a bit much. Calibrating it at the moment. Hope this helps a bit.

7. wopper macrumors newbie

Completely normal, same here. If you read the small text in the apple battery website you can see that they put the brightness on 50% and only browsing some web pages. When i do that the counter increases to almost 7 hours.

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I think that's way too short. I bet something is going on.

1. Make sure you're using the low-power graphics chipset (System Prefs->Energy Saver)
    2. Make sure no background processes are hogging CPU cycles. (Activity Monitor)
    3. Make sure nothing is running in Rosetta (I had a widget running in Rosetta at one point). Look in Activity Monitor and sort by kind. Make sure they are all Intel.
    4. Make sure bluetooth is off.

Screen brightness will not pull your battery life down that much.

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Absolutely not. Here's from MacWorld's recent test of the 17" MBP:

As I suspected, this certainly indicates that something unusual is going on with the OP's computer. 3 hours and 40 minutes is normal? Come on.

10. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

normal,

i get 3-4 hours running virtual machines programming and using visual basic heavily.

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah, and its normal to get less than that, say, if you're rendering constantly HD video with the processor and hard drive both working hard. We're all very impressed with how hard you work your machine. But the OP's question was:

No, that's not normal.