Battery/Magsafe Problems + Applecare (Japan)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Clark Kent, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Clark Kent macrumors member

Apple Japan = Awesome!

In the past 2 weeks, my Santa Rosa MBP (bought July 2007) started to randomly shut down when I would disconnect the power adapter and run it off the battery. I had never had a problem with the battery before. In fact, I rarely ever used it. It was under 50 cycles after a little more than a year a half of use. Suddenly it started to shut down after 15-20 minutes running on battery power. I couldn't restart the computer until connecting it to the Magsafe and when it would restart, the battery would show 90% full and over 90% health.

I have Applecare, so I called Apple's support number for Japan. After I described the problem, the first thing the support tech said was, "I think we should replace your battery." No humming and hawing, saying it was a consumable product, or even asking for a deposit until I return my own battery. Very different from many of the experiences I've read about on here and Apple's discussion boards regarding the same problems.

I have also been having problems with my Magsafe power adapter. It worked fine, but the light that indicates the charge status hasn't worked properly since the first few months of owning the computer. It flickers on an off at times, mostly staying off, but has always worked perfectly otherwise. I mentioned this as well (and I had been meaning to call about it for a long time, just never got around to it) and he said they will replace that as well.

The tech said it would take about 4 days to receive the items and I would just exchange them with the delivery guy when he came. That was yesterday. Today, almost exactly 24 hours since I called, the doorbell rang and my new battery and Magsafe adapter arrived.

This is the second time I've dealt with Apple Japan's service, and the second time it's been outstanding. After a few days of using my MBP when I first bought it, the backlighting on the keyboard stopped working properly. The tech in that instance asked if I wanted to get it fixed or just get a new computer. I hadn't transfered all my data from my old PowerBook yet so I went ahead and swapped it out. Getting asked which option I preferred was unbelievable.

Now I just need to calibrate this battery and hope that my shutdown problem has disappeared.

I can't remember ever being as satisfied with the level of service and support I've gotten from a big company has I have with Apple Japan.

2. digitalhen macrumors regular

good to hear a report like this.

was it a JPN bought laptop?

3. Clark Kent thread starter macrumors member

I ordered it through an Apple Store in Tokyo. It's technically a BTO machine because I changed the keyboard to English, even though it's the exact same machine otherwise as sold in America off the shelf.