Battery Maintenance for non mobile user

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by max pl, Apr 16, 2014.

1. max pl macrumors regular

So I have a laptop thats 99% stationary and would like to know how often to run it on battery to keep the battery capacity up for 4+ years.
    Right now I'm doing it once every 2 weeks.

With my old Thinkpad T400 the battery held 70% after 5 years which I consider great, but it also offered the option of setting battery thresholds which even todays Thinkpads don't have; likely because the batteries are "smarter".

So whats the deal with my current laptop, the latest mbpr15?
    Should I continue with the 2 week cycle or is there a different method to follow?

Thanks.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I have to ask why you bothered with a laptop in the first place.

With that said, once a month or a bit more is fine.

3. max pl thread starter macrumors regular

went with laptop because i don't use it at a desk, but on couch/bed mostly.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

In case you haven't stumbled across it, Apple has a webpage about notebook batteries. They recommend what snaky69 had already mentioned. :)

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

5. 5to1 macrumors 6502

My wife uses hers largely at home these days, but still prefers to be untethered quite a bit (much easier then carrying the charger all over the house and on the sofa/kitchen island/etc more comfortable/conveniant). However, if you really are using it tethered all the time does the condition of the battery really matter to you? Just plug it, unplug it as you see fit.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Regularly cycling the battery from 100% to 0% is the best method to keeping your battery in shape! I think your schedule is fine.

Try downloading the app Battery Health from the App Store to see the basic info about your battery.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. It isn't. LiPo batteries don't like deep cycles. If anything, the OP should discharge down to 40% or so and top back up.

8. jkundi macrumors member

With my new rMBP I'm currently charging battery to 100% and disconnecting the charger waiting till it drops to 20% or so and recharging to 100%. Is that the correct process for battery life cycle. :confused:

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

You don't need to keep plugging and unplugging your Mac. The battery can take care of itself. Plug it in when you can, unplug it when you need to. Period. There's nothing more to do.

10. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Today's batteries are smart enough to stay healthy all by them selves.