Battery management apps

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Ultra AleM, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Hello, guys! On the App Store you can find several apps which manage battery and tasks, and which usually have a recharge mode built in which lets you recharge your phone while the app is in the background. I tried one of those and I must say they work. The battery lasts more (around +25%). What's the trick? Is this bad for the battery, may it be damaged by it or it's fair?

2. loftiness macrumors member

loftiness

is this sunday troll post :D
    pretty sure the only way to charge your phone is just to plug it in.
    Any app that claims to "manage" your battery or memory will just use more power and make your battery life worse, given how well iOS already does power management (also how locked down the OS is).

anyone claiming otherwise is most likely selling snake oil.

3. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Are you saying that this app lets you recharge the phone with only the app open? Not even plugged in?

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

There is no possible software trick on a battery, so I'd strongly suggest you to save your money

5. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

No. You plug the phone in while the app is running. The battery life seems to improve by 25%

6. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Without the app the phone charges at the maximum current allowed, I'm not sure how you think an app that has limited access to the OS and it's core components could change that.

7. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

No idea, but it seems to work. That's why I asked. It's not the only app. There are like almost 10. Battery Doctor, Battery Doc, ecc...

8. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

So you're saying that after you charge, it lasts 25% longer, or it charges 25% quicker? Either way, it's complete BS.

9. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

It lasts around 25% longer. But this effect happens just when you use it once a while. If you exagerate it won't work

10. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Exactly, because it doesn't work. Usage changse day to day, some days are better than others, it's just a coincidence.

11. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

It does nothing. Nothing at all.

These apps are snake oil, every single one. The only information apps can access on the battery is its charge state and whether it's plugged in. They have absolutely no control whatsoever over any aspect of the charging process, so it's impossible for them to do anything but make the battery drain faster by using system resources.

12. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I agree. I don't understand that Apple does even allow such fake apps in de App Store and removes really great widgets/apps like Launcher (luckily i still got Quick-Tap but still).

13. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Agree with others here. They simply "report" whats going on. They do absolutely nothing to change the charge behavior. Basically take up space and resources. Not hurting anything I guess but not necessary either.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Good old time tested "placebo effect" in action.