Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
As has been mentioned in another thread, when using 10.5 on a Pismo upgraded to G4, the battery in the left (normal) slot is not recognized or shown in the menu, although it clearly works.
In order to get a battery monitor working I have a nearly knackered battery in the left slot and a nearly new one in the DVD slot. That way I have a monitor for the good battery, and if that runs down I know I have 20 minutes on the other one.

I've tried to find out which extensions in Tiger refer to battery / power management but without success, thinking to use them in Leopard to get a working battery monitor - does anyone know which kexts / bundles they are please?

Cheers :)

Hugh

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
shame I don't have a couple working Pismo batteries, otherwise id figure it out myself

what I would start out with is, go through the Beta builds of leopard and figure out when exactly battery monitoring stops working properly on the Pismo

then compare the relevant areas between that beta build and the next build up that does not work and or the retail version of leopard

and go from there :)

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Thanks very much.
What I'm actually looking for is a list of which actual kexts or bundles control battery management, so I know which files to extract and test.

Hugh

Mervoid

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2015
Any progress made here? I have a G4 upgraded Pismo running Leopard beautifully, the only thing missing is the battery status...

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Any progress made here? I have a G4 upgraded Pismo running Leopard beautifully, the only thing missing is the battery status...
As has been mentioned in another thread, when using 10.5 on a Pismo upgraded to G4, the battery in the left (normal) slot is not recognized or shown in the menu, although it clearly works.
In order to get a battery monitor working I have a nearly knackered battery in the left slot and a nearly new one in the DVD slot. That way I have a monitor for the good battery, and if that runs down I know I have 20 minutes on the other one.

Hugh
As per my post from 2019 quoted above, this is as far as I have got, and it works pretty well for me as I don't use the DVD drive much. If I need the DVD I plug into the mains and swap the right hand battery out.

Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.