Battery/Memory issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stevken, Dec 17, 2009.

1. stevken macrumors member

I think I may have a rogue app on my iphone. when I go to bed, i have a fully charged iphone, but when i get up the battery is at 45%. Checking the memory stats, the active, wired and innactive areas are consuming most of the memory.

I have to switch the phone off to resolve the issue and recharge.

1. Is there an app that will free the memory and kill any processes that are not required?

2. What is wired memory?

3. What is the difference between innactive and free memory

4. How to I trap the rogue app or if it is not an app, find the problem

Many thanks in advance for your assistance

2. stevken thread starter macrumors member

Found an app called system activity monitor that explains everything I asked above and clears the memory and apps if required. Hopefully this will resolve the problem

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You'd find out more by stating what you have turned on. For example do you have push on?

4. stevken thread starter macrumors member

Push is on for a number of things but not for email

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So, turn push off and see if you get different results. What else do you have on? When was the last time you calibrated your battery? You might just need to restore your phone. Or your battery could be bad.

6. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I use MemInfo from Cydia (not sure what repo). You can 'clean' which closes all non-essential apps and frees memory.
    You can also view what's running and close individual apps as well.

You may find that something is running in the background as a daemon though, which is basically something that runs in the background with no visual UI but does something (lol).

It may be worth restoring if the problem persists as even if you're closing apps something is clearly running by itself and draining your battery.
    As -aggie- said, if push is on it is more likely to drain your battery.

7. stevken thread starter macrumors member

Calibration = never. will do it today.

I read that you should keep the battery charged as often as possible rather than the usual drain it recharge it.

8. stevken thread starter macrumors member

Push is on only for beejive which is hardly ever used and for a lottery program that sends me lottery numbers twice a week. other than that everything is manual.

I will drain the battery today then do a full charge.

I tend to keep it charged. if it drops to 75% it gets charged. when out and about I use a mili battery pack to give me a whole day with no need to charge