Battery meter acting strange. (New Macbook)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by idavid84, Oct 19, 2008.

1. idavid84 macrumors newbie

So after a full charge I notice that my battery meter jumps around a bit. I have the time left setting turned on and it just moves up and down every couple of minutes or so. It can go from 4:59 to 3:49 then back up to 4:14, just to give you guys an example.
    Does else notice anything like this? Hope I explained the problem well enough, Ive noticed a few other battery topic threads but none really about this specifically. I dont remember my old black macbook jumping around so much.

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

dont worry about that...the time that is displayed on that goes up and down depending on the load youre computer is going through...its basically a live streaming measurement of how much time you have left on that charge if you continue using the computer like that...

more stress = less time
    less stress = more time

hope that helps :D

3. idavid84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. Just seems like it moves around a bit too much when compared to my old MB.

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

yeah, i mean just as long as youre getting the life that you think you should...youre fine :)

5. dnguyen macrumors regular

i feel like my battery isn't lasting that long. i set my brightness all the way down and am just using firefox, adium, maybe word and i only get about 4 hours.

I have calibrated the battery once so far. should i do it again?

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

bluetooth, wireless... and etc

sounds fine to me.

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

calibrating the battery again wont help...all it does is provide you with more accurate information on the battery meter on the screen, it doesnt actually give you more battery life...

but 4 hours sounds about right...which model do you have? remember Apples claims are with really light usage...so if you have a few tabs open in firefox, and using adium, its gonna drain battery more...so you seem to be fine...

8. dnguyen macrumors regular

Oh sorry, I'm on the base 2.0ghz model macbook. The reason i'm a bit concerned is because I've read that some other people have been getting a lot longer battery times (other MR users).

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

4 hours is dang good!! I've got the 2.4 GHZ and have my key light on and screen brightness almost to the top with itunes running, 2 browser windows open with 10 tabs each, bluetooth turned off, and am looking at a little bit over 3.4 hours.. NO calibration yet...

10. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

I have this, its kinda funny, kinda annoying. For a while yesterday I had estimated 7:40 of battery time :rolleyes:

I've gotten around it by just switching to the percentage meter.

11. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

With brightness all the way down, and with word on and adium on (So wifi was on, bluetooth off) I had 35% battery left after just over 3 hours of use. This wasn't from a full charge though, and it was in sleep for 30 min more then the 3 hours usage.

The 3 hours was without any sleep or screen being off, also it was with me doing some hevier tasks before like installing/downloading programs.

I could probobly easily get 5 hours if I really tried to.