Battery meter misleading

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by skerfoot, Apr 6, 2010.

1. skerfoot macrumors member

Sorry if this has been addressed already; I did a quick search and didn’t find an answer to my problem. Feel free to point me to the relevant thread if I missed it.

We have two iPhones, and both are now experiencing the same problem. The battery meter shows that the battery is fully charged, but then all of a sudden the phone complains that it’s out of charge and dies. While the battery doesn’t last quite as long as it used to, it still seems to last a couple of days (for my normal usage) between charges. It just doesn’t give notice that the charge is going down, which is a problem if we’re not paying attention.

Is anyone else having this problem? Both our phones are doing the same thing now. Any fixes? Is this a sign that our batteries are dying?

Thanks

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This happens occasionally and a reboot fixes it. Otherwise a calibration would fix the meter. But if yours is actually dying, then it's already being calibrated, and I suspect you'll need to restore the phone.

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

1- re-calibrate the battery
    2- check you have the latest software update
    3- if it still doesn't perform well, go to the genius bar

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The phone is already calibrated once it dies.

You don't need the latest software update for the battery and meter to work right.

5. skerfoot thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. From reading some other posts, I understand that recalibrating the meter involves fully draining the battery, and then fully recharging it. I'll try this a couple of times to see if it fixes the problem.

However, as you point out, since we've run the battery all of the way down and then recharge (unintentionally), then it should be recalibrated. If it's not working, you suggest restoring the phone. By this do you mean the "restore" button under "Summary" and "Version" that opens under iTunes?

Thanks again.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I wouldn't try calibrating any more, since you've obviously done it a lot lately (letting the phone die and full charging it). It's not good for the battery (you shouldn't calibrate more often than monthly, if that).

Yes, to your last question. You may want to setup as new, as long as you have everything synced.

Be aware, your battery may be going bad, so if none of this works, consider getting it replaced under warranty for nothing or out of warranty for ~$85.

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Why you mention this?

Apple releases iPhone OS 3.1.3 with battery reporting fix
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 @ 02:15 PM
    Text Size **
    Apple on Tuesday afternoon released version 3.1.3 of its iPhone OS software for the iPhone and iPod touch, bringing with it improved accuracy of reported battery level on the iPhone 3GS.