Battery Meter Showing Plug But Still Charging......(UPDATE!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b-rad g, Oct 13, 2010.

1. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I plugged in my iPhone 4 using wall charger and sync cable and as soon as I plug it in I get a "plug" in the battery meter as if it is "fully charged", but it isn't. I started at 46% when I plugged in and it has taken the better part of the day to get to 89% right now. Usually never takes this long to charge from wall charger.

Also, while it is plugged in and the screen is on there is a faint high pitched "chirping" coming from the phone. As soon as I hit Lock/Sleep it goes away, but when I hit the Home button and the screen comes back on the noise starts.

Any idea what's going on?

2. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

3. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Thanks for the fast reply!

Ok....done. Did a hard reset until Apple logo came back on and when lock screen came up I unlocked. Right before I reset the battery was showing 90% and as soon as it came back up it was at 92%. I plugged in and bam the lightning bolt was in the battery meter. But after about 30 seconds it changed to the plug and am still getting the "chirping".

4. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

hmmm..that's definitely something that would make me bring it back for an excange...I wouldn't even bother with the usual "restore as new" through iTunes...try to reset it again if it does not improve proceed directly to Apple and get another...sounds like you MIGHT have a defective battery...have you calibrated the battery ever? let the phone use all the remaining battery power until it dies then charge it back to 100% if that does not help bring it back

5. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Well I think it might be the Apple Wall Charger. Since I am sitting in front of my computer I thought I would see what it would do plugged in to usb on pc. Guess what....perfectly fine! Plugged into pc and lightning bolt came up in battery meter and no chirping sound. Then unplugged from pc and into wall charger and immediately got the plug in the meter and the chirping.

Will Apple replace a defective wall charger?

6. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

they most certainly will...does your wall charger have a green dot on the back near the plugs?

7. jacollins macrumors 6502a

If you have an Apple store, I'd bring it by. If not, I'd give them a call. Sounds like something wierd there. You're in the US right?

8. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Yes, green dot, designed by Apple, all that stuff.

Yes in the US. Apple store isn't the easiest to "drop by". At least 30 min. each way and smack in the middle of downtown Charleston, SC.

9. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Working now!! Possible Solution!

Ok well as I was just about to call Apple Care about this issue I decided to do some more digging and it seems that a whole lot of people were getting defective chargers when this latest version (A1265) came out.

One tip was to plug and unplug the usb to the block a bunch of times. They said the contacts had some kind of coating on them from the manufacturing process and needed to be worn off to work properly.

Just tried this and so far it seems to be charging properly!! I am getting the lightning bolt in the battery meter and the percentage has gone up 7% in the amount of time it took me to find this thread again and write this. Crossing fingers that this is the solution!:D :apple: :D :apple: