Battery-monitoring app for Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by otinokyad, May 3, 2012.

1. otinokyad macrumors newbie

There is a lot of good info about early users' reactions to the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover in an earlier thread (#1364978). I was lucky enough to get the last (only?) one at my local Best Buy today and am generally very pleased.

But I noticed one odd thing (which didn't quite fit in that thread, hence this new one): you either know that the KB battery is low (<5%) from the red color of the sole status light; or you know that it is somewhere between 5 and 100%! Given the purported life of a charge -- six (yes, 6) months for an assumed 2-hr daily use -- it's not a huge deal.

Still, I wondered, so I called Logitech support. The person to whom I spoke was very apologetic, but no, there is not yet any "built-in" software, and in fact phone support staff haven't yet seen the unit themselves! But as we talked on, he made an offhand suggestion: Maybe someone will write an iPad app to display the remaining battery life. Great idea!

So, all you iOS developers reading this (or maybe a Logitech engineer), get to work. Assuming that you have access to the appropriate Logitech API, hooks, whatever, then this should be a simple thing to do. And worth at least $0.99, I would think.

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

So, an iPad app is supposed to be able to read the battery charge level of an external device via the bluetooth connection? Right.

3. qCzar macrumors regular

In fairness, the Bluetooth mice, keyboard and trackpad from Apple all send their battery level to the computer. If the information is available it can be retrieved.