"Battery not available"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tamim., May 25, 2011.

1. tamim. macrumors newbie

Alright so my Mac suddenly shut down for no reason, then it opened up a few minutes afterwards then I noticed that the charge logo on the top right has an X on it, it said "Battery not available". I tried most solutions to no use. And no I'm not able to open the battery and reseating it. Also, before it happened, I was using the Mac normally and doing nothing unusual that might have set this off. It's also making a loud hovering noise.

2. simsaladimbamba

What exactly are those "most solutions"?

Maybe this can somewhat help?

3. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

what kind of mac do you have? Can you take out the battery or is it a unibody? Is it under warranty? What solutions have you tried?

4. tamim. thread starter macrumors newbie

To answer your questions, I've tried resetting the SMC, and tried restarting/shutting down. I've got a MacBook Pro 15 inch and I can't take out the battery.

5. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

If it's within warranty and you have an Apple store nearby, definitely go to Apple.

Well, 2 things can cause this, and both are hardware related.

The battery cable has come loose.

Hardware failure.

You can check the battery cable pretty easily. Just remove the back cover. It will be a pretty big connector near the battery. You may want to remove it and plug it back in.

From iFixIt.com:
    2011 15"
    2009/2010

You can also go to the iFixIt website for more detailed instructions. I'm suggesting a disconnect/reconnect of the battery.