Battery Not Charging After Update!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Steverido, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Steverido macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am a Newbie to Macs so please bear with me. I have bought a Feb 2008 Macbook Pro to trial because I am a Windows OS user. I have updated the OS to the latest OS X 10.8.4 but truly can't state whether the issue has happened because of this but my battery shows as 88% charged and clearly is not charging because if I unplug the power cable it dies. The LED indicator for the power cable is sometimes orange which I believe means it is charging but then turns green which I also believe is supposed to mean it is charged.

I think that the fact that it is showing 88% and dies if I remove the power cable and that it states that it is not charging lends it to be a software issue.

Not sure if I have given enough information but any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

2. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

It actually sounds to me like the battery is toast, it is a 2008 which makes it about 5.5 years old. That's a good run for a battery.

The charge state LED changing randomly and it powering off when unplugged wouldn't be a software problem that I've ever seen. It could be something other than the battery, but the battery is the most likely problem.

3. Steverido thread starter macrumors newbie

The person that I bought it from secondhand replaced the battery but I don't know how old it is. The battery worked fine without power and charged when I bought it and the only change that I have made was updating to latest OSX and replacing the hard drive to a Seagate 500GB Hybrid. I did clone the original drive and then copy to the new one.

Perhaps I should try putting the original drive in a see if it is okay with that first.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

4. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Since you were inside mucking about with the drive, it's possible you disconnected something or made something loose...like the battery connector. Before replacing the drive I would open it up and check the connections around the drive to see if you knocked anything loose.

5. Steverido thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I am going to do that the weekend but why would it show 88% charged but battery is not charging? Would it do that if a cable was disconnected?

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

It could be that the connector is loose and has a poor or intermittent connection, one that isn't strong enough to support the current required to run the laptop off the battery but is enough to register that there is power.

If that's the case, I wouldn't wait until this weekend (It literally would take 5 minutes to open it up, check, and close it back up) because that short could result in damage due to voltage spikes as the connector connects and disconnects and could also damage the pins if it's sparking every time this happens.