Battery Not Charging/Avaliable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmhiott, Jan 30, 2015.

1. tmhiott macrumors newbie

I've searched, can't seem to find an answer specifically for my situation.

I have a Mid-2009 Macbook Pro 13.3 inch. It was running a little slow, and that's understandable given it's more then 5 years old. I bought a solid state, upgraded the ram, and decided I also wanted to put a new battery in it because the old one wasn't working very well.

So, I bought an Anker one. I realize this may or may not have been the smartest thing to do, but I did it anyway, here's the one i bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D780NNQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed it, connector put completely in, and when i started the computer it says not charging and has an x on the battery icon, and if i click on the battery icon it says, "No Battery Avaliable."

I have reset the SMC, no go. I then decided to put my old battery back in and try to return the Anker battery. Well, now my old one doesn't work either. If i put the original battery in, I get the same not charging/x on the battery icon/no battery available. Everything else works fine on the computer, I'm using it to type right now.

Any ideas on what i could try to get one of these batteries working?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Raunien macrumors 6502

Tread carefully when using third-party non apple batteries. They do funny things to the system. I would put your original battery back in to see if the system recognizes it and then reinstall the new one. If it doesn't, that means you bought a defective product and need to buy a new one (preferably from apple).

Edit: didn't read the thread. Your best bet would be to have apple take a look at it. Maybe GGJstudios can chime in here.

3. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

You deserve an upgrade my friend. :D Look up battery replacement on 2009 mac book pro, usually youtubers post what battery they get

4. gruv2ths macrumors newbie

Oh NO!!!! I have the same problem with the same Anker battery on the same MBP!!
    The guy at the local Apple Authorized repair shop says that he has to replace the main board. Not doing that, they want $600.

Did you find the problem?

On mine I opened the bottom to plug back in the back-light ribbon (apparently it came out). I unplugged the battery (Anker 4 months old), plugged the keyboard back-light ribbon back in, then re-plugged in the battery. Now my system says 'No Battery Available', the time is usually wrong and the magsafe never turns orange.

Any help or better schematics would be a big help. My main board is: 820-2530-A.

----------

Is there a known problem to look for in the videos?
    Thanks!

5. gruv2ths macrumors newbie

I just posted this in another thread and thought it may be of some help here.

Let me know what you guys think:

So I took a bunch more data on my 0% charge / Anker aftermarket battery plug/unplug problem. Here is what I found:
    The data pins on the battery measure 15.7 and 4.0 ohms to ground when the Battery Indicator Light (BIL is what that stands for right??)is plugged in

When the BIL is not plugged in and either the battery or the magsafe is plugged in pin 4 is 3.3V logic and pin 6 is 1.5V DC

When the BIL is plugged in, 0V on either battery data pin

I am reading 3.3V on the charge controller IC at pin 14

With either BIL plugged in or not the problem is the same 0% charge

Battery voltage is 11.97V with the magsafe plugged in or not

Pin 5 on the battery is low (pull down is intact)

Going foreword, hoping to talk to an engineer at Anker and see what they are willing to admit. Also going to order the zeners that go on the battery pins, and a new BIL and of course a new APPLE battery.