battery not charging HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sam8675309, Oct 30, 2011.

1. sam8675309, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

sam8675309 macrumors newbie

I was using my laptop this morning (2010 Macbook Pro) (and it had been plugged into the adapter which had been plugged in) and it was working fine. Afterwards, I realized that there wasn't any light coming from the charger.

I thought maybe it was the wall outlet, so I plugged in my cell phone to its charger and it had worked fine, so I know it's not the outlet.
    I tried using the extension cord the macbook came with, and that didn't make a difference (still no charge).
    I went throughout the house trying different wall outlets (just in case). Still didn't work.
    I also reset the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964 and that made absolutely no difference.
    and I cleaned both the magsafe adapter pins and the port on the laptop.

I'm not sure what's wrong, and I'm not sure what to do. The rest of the laptop seems to be working fine, (backlight and such). I'm just running out of battery life and need some help!

2. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Is there anyone you know with another charger you can try?

If not, sounds like the charger may be bad. I'd recommend if you can't get a charger to test, run to an apple store and ask to test one there (shouldn't be an issue without AppleCare if it expired already). They may even fix it or replace the charger for free if that is the issue if you ask them nicely.

3. sam8675309 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a spare charger, unfortunately. I think I'm going to have to head out to an Apple store, like you said, and see what they can do. I still have Applecare on it, so I hope that they'll be able to fix or replace anything that's faulty free of charge.
    I'm just a little perplexed as to what caused it to stop working because nothing was dropped or got wet.

4. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Being you're under AppleCare, I'd bring it to them, and they'll fix it for free.

All electronics have some sort of lifespan, so something must have worn out somewhere.