Battery not charging, light is amber though

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by playingthehero, Jun 30, 2011.

1. playingthehero macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am a newcomer to the forum and have run into a wall with my situation. I'll try to keep my question very simple with all the crucial details and hope some of you experts can help me :)

My logicboard failed in my 2.8 ghz 17 inch MBP Core 2 Duo and I had it repaired about 3 months ago. I just got around to getting a new battery as the battery was dead when I got it back from repair because it was sitting for about 2 months before I sent it in. I just purchased a new one from iFixit. It is an Apple brand battery. Since i got it back from repair, I was running it in the meantime with the dead battery inside while it was plugged in for the last few months.

My problem is that after I installed the new battery, it will not charge. It appears the battery itself is fine as it is labeled "Normal" in the system profiler. It does say "Not Charging" in the tool bar and has the adapter icon inside the battery icon.

The light is amber on the mag safe adapter which generally means that it should be charging. There is absolutely no charging going on. The battery came with a 70% charge and I am at 65% and had it plugged in all day. I have done all sorts of resets (SMC and PRAM) and even reinstalled the OS to be sure. I borrowed my friends charger to see if that was the problem but it wasn't, same thing happened with his. So its not the charger.

Do you think I bought a bad battery? Or do you think maybe my MagSafe DC-In Board could be bad since I recently had my logic board worked on? I don't want to take it to Apple because they have never lived up to the name "Genious Bar" in every instance I have had an appointment.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was the issue? I am afraid it could be my logicboard again, but I am not sure. I am hoping it is either the battery or the MagSafe DC-In Board. Please let me know your thoughts, I have about 2 weeks to return the battery incase you think its the battery.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Is your machine under warranty? Did you *buy* the logic board? Apple service parts have a 90-day warranty, so I'd recommend bringing your machine back in ASAP.

3. playingthehero thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't have it serviced with Apple because it is no longer under warranty, When I brought it in the first time when the logic board failed (computer wouldn't power up at all) they didn't even open it and said that I needed to replace the logic board and that was around 1200 bucks. I decided to go to a local computer shop to have it serviced. They ended up repairing it (booted up and was running perfect) and they informed me that the battery was no longer good and I needed to replace it. 3 months later, I replaced it and I have this problem now. I'm tired of going back and forth. I have a feeling the mag safe board is shot since it could of been a power surge that toasted my logic board in the first place.

I am kind of the point where I want to DIY, any suggestions? My brother works at the computer place I had it serviced, he said they can take care of me once I try the Mag safe board replacement, If I still have the same issue, they will check the logic board and let me know if its repairable from there.

I called Apple and they said it could be a software issue, but how is that possible?

4. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Understand your frustration, but it seems reasonable, unfortunately, to take the machine back to where it was repaired. No?

5. Detrius macrumors 68000

It depends on the definition of "software." It could be the firmware or the SMC, but since the battery should charge when the machine is off with no hard drive in it, your OS is 100% irrelevant.

6. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Completely agree, take it back and see if they can help or fix your problem.