Battery not charging on 2008 unibody macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by neurophysicist, Jan 7, 2012.

1. neurophysicist macrumors member

My mother has a 2008 unibody macbook. Today I noticed it was not charging at all, whether on her old magsafe (block shape) charger or L shaped magsafe for my early 2011 MBP, or L shaped magsafe from my brother's 2008 or 2009 MBP.

Then at one point after being plugged in I noticed the adapter light was very very dim green (only visible in the dark or with my hands closed around the charger). I noticed this symptom in other threads as well.

I did the SMC reset according to this <http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964> under "reseting the SMC on mac portables for a battery you can remove" as well as with this video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X736qn13tU>.

Upon restarting the computer from the directions on the apple website, the computer has turned on. I have my L shaped magsafe in from my 2011 MBP. Upon start-up it was orange but then it showed no color. But since that brief time, it has been very, very dim green the whole time. At first the computer did not appear to be charging. Upon opening coconut battery, the charge in mAh appears to be increasingly, albeit at a snail pace (looks like 1 mAh a minute).

She had the battery replaced on the macbook in 2010 or 2011 (not completely sure, have to check), so the battery is not the original one from 2008.

I am going to proceed with taking this to the apple store. I saw in other threads that this may mean a problem with the logic board, though hopefully not. I saw in another thread that an individual still was unable to get their macbook to charge after Apple replaced this.

However I am just happy now I have been able to start up the computer and get it charging, as I was unable to for an hour. I am going to back up the macbook to my external drive to be safe.

I am of course going to take it to Apple as soon as I can, though please let me know if anyone has suggestions or was able to remedy this issue, as the macbook still is not charging properly (slow pace, and dim light). Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the MagSafe troubleshooting link in the CHARGING section of the following link. If that doesn't help, take it to Apple. Get iStat Pro to track your cycles and battery health. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: