Battery not charging since Mojave

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by thinkadam, Sep 15, 2018.

1. thinkadam macrumors regular

Hi,
    I have a late 17 MacBook Pro running the latest Beta 11 of Mojave.
    I noticed several times this week my battery was low and I always work plugged in.

It seems the battery isn't charging always. I tried a few different USB C adapters...after playing around it seems charging once again begins.
    This morning my battery was at 19% even plugged in all night.

Can this be a Mojave issue?

Thanks

2. DaniloGeekDude macrumors regular

DaniloGeekDude

By any chance, do you see "Service Battery" under System Preferences|Energy Saver?

3. thinkadam thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. It was normal before I noticed this

4. DaniloGeekDude, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018

DaniloGeekDude macrumors regular

DaniloGeekDude

Ok, just wondering. There are third party software out there that can check and provide statistics regarding your battery. Such as iStat Menus, Battery Health. I use the former as it provides a lot more stats (cpu, process, etc.) than battery.

5. Raadek macrumors newbie

Raadek

Hi, just upgraded to OS X Mojave and my MacBook Pro (early 2015) does not charge. Got error message right after the upgrade - battery "replace now". Before that I easily had 6h of work on single charge.. Any suggestion ? This clearly seems to be "software" than "hardware-battery" fault. Thanks

6. thinkadam thread starter macrumors regular

I

Mine was similar; then 2 days later my logic board fried. Not sure if it was a conincidence or what. But I got it replaced.

Also. Even with a brand new battery I get max about 3 hours.

7. mbpdzzy macrumors newbie

8. TheNightbear, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

TheNightbear macrumors newbie

Same here... I've updated my Macbook Pro 2016 (Touchbar) to Mojave. I noticed that the battery was low after a few hours in standby. Down to 3% - I was able to boot and recharge the battery. Not today - the battery is not charging anymore. Tried SMC reset without luck. The battery was empty after 4-6 hours in standby (!) - while the macbook was connected to a monitor with power supply via usb c (!). This never happend with High Sierra.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this only happens if the lid was open during standby and never if it was closed.

UPDATE (2018-01-09):

I was lucky, my MacBook was just in the legal warranty period. And Apple changed my battery including motherboard and hard drive. Since then I haven't noticed any problems.

9. numidian macrumors newbie

These appears to be a real issue at least for Macbook Pro w/ touch bar 2016. I had a series of failures this month on my machine, so Apple has essentially replaced the entire system without replacing it. Every was fine a day after getting it back. I upgrade to Mojave and suddenly it won't charge and completely lost the right rear USB-C port.

If I reset SMC while plugged in, it will take a charge but won't if I unplug and replug, unless I reset the SMC again.

Took it into Apple, they were baffled. They don't seem to know about the issue. They authorized a complete replacement since it was my 3rd time in this month.

HOWEVER - as I wiped the drive, and reinstalled the base OS the sent it back with (Sierra) I notice it's charging just fine! Something is seriously wrong with Mojave and the IO board drivers maybe? Whatever it is, if you are experiencing this and out of warranty, I highly recommend you downgrade until Apple is aware of the issue and updates.

10. the.registration, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018

the.registration macrumors newbie

Similar issue here. Upgraded to Mojave yesterday.
    Today battery will only charge when machine is on standby, or off.
    MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016), With touchbar.

iStatpro says battery health @89%

Any solution?

Edit
    SMC and PRAM resets fixed this.

11. raynold2010 macrumors member

SAME HERE. Mojave 10.14.1

12. rlopez4445 macrumors newbie

Gentlemen, we just discovered Mojavegate, I have a MacBook Air 11" with only 61 cycles. Will not charge, I have tried everything except replace the battery. 4 chargers, SMC, SMC extended reset. Discharge completely, battery conditioning. Apple Please Help! Is this planned obsolescence similar to the problem in iOS 11?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2018 ---
    Gentlemen, we just discovered Mojavegate, I have a MacBook Air 11" with only 61 cycles. Will not charge, I have tried everything except replace the battery. 4 chargers, SMC, SMC extended reset. Discharge completely, battery conditioning. Apple Please Help! Is this planned obsolescence similar to the problem in iOS 11?

13. madrich macrumors 6502

madrich

14. nick8383, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018

nick8383 macrumors newbie

15. hotswapster macrumors newbie

I also have this problem after upgrading to Mojave. My battery was replaced about 5 months ago and has been working with no problem (46 cycles). After following Apple's instructions to calibrate (which wouldn't really work because I couldn't charge to start with), I now get the Service Battery warning. SMC, NV and PV ram has all been reset and not made a difference. My assumption is the upgrade has prevented charging fro occurring due to recognising a different battery installed. However, I have nothing to prove this except for coincidence.

16. TheNightbear macrumors newbie

Update:

I was lucky, my MacBook was just in the legal warranty period. And Apple changed my battery including motherboard and hard drive. Since then I haven't noticed any problems.