Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkadam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Canada
Hi,
I have a late 17 MacBook Pro running the latest Beta 11 of Mojave.
I noticed several times this week my battery was low and I always work plugged in.

It seems the battery isn't charging always. I tried a few different USB C adapters...after playing around it seems charging once again begins.
This morning my battery was at 19% even plugged in all night.

Can this be a Mojave issue?

Thanks

Reactions: TimothyR734

DaniloGeekDude

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2018
Hi,
I noticed several times this week my battery was low and I always work plugged in.

It seems the battery isn't charging always. I tried a few different USB C adapters...after playing around it seems charging once again begins.

Thanks

By any chance, do you see "Service Battery" under System Preferences|Energy Saver?

DaniloGeekDude

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2018
Nope. It was normal before I noticed this

Ok, just wondering. There are third party software out there that can check and provide statistics regarding your battery. Such as iStat Menus, Battery Health. I use the former as it provides a lot more stats (cpu, process, etc.) than battery.

Last edited:

Raadek

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
Nope. It was normal before I noticed this
Hi, just upgraded to OS X Mojave and my MacBook Pro (early 2015) does not charge. Got error message right after the upgrade - battery "replace now". Before that I easily had 6h of work on single charge.. Any suggestion ? This clearly seems to be "software" than "hardware-battery" fault. Thanks

thinkadam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Canada
Hi, just upgraded to OS X Mojave and my MacBook Pro (early 2015) does not charge. Got error message right after the upgrade - battery "replace now". Before that I easily had 6h of work on single charge.. Any suggestion ? This clearly seems to be "software" than "hardware-battery" fault. Thanks
I

Mine was similar; then 2 days later my logic board fried. Not sure if it was a conincidence or what. But I got it replaced.

Also. Even with a brand new battery I get max about 3 hours.

TheNightbear

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2018
Same here... I've updated my Macbook Pro 2016 (Touchbar) to Mojave. I noticed that the battery was low after a few hours in standby. Down to 3% - I was able to boot and recharge the battery. Not today - the battery is not charging anymore. Tried SMC reset without luck. The battery was empty after 4-6 hours in standby (!) - while the macbook was connected to a monitor with power supply via usb c (!). This never happend with High Sierra.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this only happens if the lid was open during standby and never if it was closed.

UPDATE (2018-01-09):

I was lucky, my MacBook was just in the legal warranty period. And Apple changed my battery including motherboard and hard drive. Since then I haven't noticed any problems.

Last edited:

numidian

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2012
These appears to be a real issue at least for Macbook Pro w/ touch bar 2016. I had a series of failures this month on my machine, so Apple has essentially replaced the entire system without replacing it. Every was fine a day after getting it back. I upgrade to Mojave and suddenly it won't charge and completely lost the right rear USB-C port.

If I reset SMC while plugged in, it will take a charge but won't if I unplug and replug, unless I reset the SMC again.

Took it into Apple, they were baffled. They don't seem to know about the issue. They authorized a complete replacement since it was my 3rd time in this month.

HOWEVER - as I wiped the drive, and reinstalled the base OS the sent it back with (Sierra) I notice it's charging just fine! Something is seriously wrong with Mojave and the IO board drivers maybe? Whatever it is, if you are experiencing this and out of warranty, I highly recommend you downgrade until Apple is aware of the issue and updates.

the.registration

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2018
Similar issue here. Upgraded to Mojave yesterday.
Today battery will only charge when machine is on standby, or off.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016), With touchbar.

iStatpro says battery health @89%

Any solution?

Edit
SMC and PRAM resets fixed this.

Last edited:

raynold2010

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
Similar issue here. Upgraded to Mojave yesterday.
Today battery will only charge when machine is on standby, or off.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016), With touchbar.

iStatpro says battery health @89%

Any solution?

Edit
SMC and PRAM resets fixed this.

SAME HERE. Mojave 10.14.1

rlopez4445

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2018
Hi,

Thanks

Gentlemen, we just discovered Mojavegate, I have a MacBook Air 11" with only 61 cycles. Will not charge, I have tried everything except replace the battery. 4 chargers, SMC, SMC extended reset. Discharge completely, battery conditioning. Apple Please Help! Is this planned obsolescence similar to the problem in iOS 11?
[doublepost=1542591587][/doublepost]
Hi,

Thanks

Gentlemen, we just discovered Mojavegate, I have a MacBook Air 11" with only 61 cycles. Will not charge, I have tried everything except replace the battery. 4 chargers, SMC, SMC extended reset. Discharge completely, battery conditioning. Apple Please Help! Is this planned obsolescence similar to the problem in iOS 11?

hotswapster

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
New Zealand
I also have this problem after upgrading to Mojave. My battery was replaced about 5 months ago and has been working with no problem (46 cycles). After following Apple's instructions to calibrate (which wouldn't really work because I couldn't charge to start with), I now get the Service Battery warning. SMC, NV and PV ram has all been reset and not made a difference. My assumption is the upgrade has prevented charging fro occurring due to recognising a different battery installed. However, I have nothing to prove this except for coincidence.

TheNightbear

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2018
Update:

I was lucky, my MacBook was just in the legal warranty period. And Apple changed my battery including motherboard and hard drive. Since then I haven't noticed any problems.

Jamie Daniel

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2020
PacNW
Same thing..early 2014 Mac Air. Just replace the battery less than two months ago and was told by Apple support to upgrade to Mojave when I had problems restoring my new iPhone...now my battery wont charge and the computer shuts itself off if the charging cable is disconnected even though my battery reads 56%.
Could reverting back to my old OS solve the problem...what about El Cap...I've had Mojave less than a week and now my update tells me to install El Cap...REALLY hating Apple right now.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Same thing..early 2014 Mac Air. Just replace the battery less than two months ago and was told by Apple support to upgrade to Mojave when I had problems restoring my new iPhone...now my battery wont charge and the computer shuts itself off if the charging cable is disconnected even though my battery reads 56%.
Could reverting back to my old OS solve the problem...what about El Cap...I've had Mojave less than a week and now my update tells me to install El Cap...REALLY hating Apple right now.

Try doing a SMC reset and see if that helps.

FusionX88

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2020
I had the same problem, except I am on catalina with a new MacBook Air. I checked the battery and it was plugged in with USB-C, but not charging. I put my fingers next to the screen. What I felt was heat and the fan running really fast. I decided that my mac couldn't charge, unless it was cooled down. I shut down some apps and it started charging.

So, try shutting down some things on your mac. I'm also not fond of apple making it so you need to cool down your mac to charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.