Battery "Not Charging" (tried everything)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Antonio2090, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Antonio2090 macrumors newbie

So the "Not Charging" message appeared out of nowhere yesterday. Today I was trying to get it fixed by searching around the web and everything that Ive tried, hasnt worked.

At first, I thought it was my charger or my battery that had something wrong. So I borrowed my friend's charger and battery plus his laptop. My battery was working perfectly on his laptop and was getting charged. Same story with my charger. But then I tried his battery and charger, it did not work. The battery wouldnt charge with my laptop and for both chargers, the laptop wouldn't turn on without a battery.

After all that, I tried resetting the PRAM or w/e thats called. While my macbook turned on, I pressed the keys COMMAND+OPTION+P+R. It did the BOOM sound and it kinda shut off and did the BOOM sound again all this happened during the grey screen. I checked if the battery was getting charged, no luck.

Then I heard about resetting the SMC/PMU or w/e. So I turned off my computer, took off the battery, disconnected it. Pressed the power button, plugged in the charger and BAM it turned on and I had all my hopes up because I successfully reset the SMC (I think, remember my laptop wasn't turning on normally with just the plug) My temp monitor was 0C, battery icon had an X. So I reset my macbook and when it turned on, my macbook still didnt charge my friend's or my battery.

Any help?

Btw, I tried the holding the power button down for 5 seconds and tried it for 60 seconds without a battery or cord. No help.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Umm... Tell us a little about the battery condition, you can find information on this using the system profile application. Also, try downloading the CoconutBattery application and check the current capacity, if it's less than 80% of the original and your battery is less than 12months old, then there's a fairly good chance it's a faulty battery... Return it to Apple!!

Just outta curiosity how much charge does this battery currently have? If it's 95% or more, your Mac won't charge the battery to 100%, it's a safety feature to preserve the life of the battery. To make the system charge the battery, use it till it's under 95%... better yet, recalibrate the battery, if you've not already done so.

If it's non of the above and you've tried an alternative battery in your Mac and it does the same thing.. then it could be a faulty charge circuit on the logic board. The only way to repair those, is seek help from Apple.

3. sos85 macrumors member

Try to calibrate the battery, if no work

Buy a replacement.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Buy? Buying a battery is only an option if your Mac is out of warranty. If the system is under warranty the OP can ask Apple for an exchange... I don't think anyone should be wasting good money on products which should work, especially if they're under warranty.

5. Antonio2090 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont think its a battery issue. Like I said above, I tried my friend's battery too and it still didnt charge. My friend tried my battery on his macbook and it did charge. But yea, I think the first post is right on the money... I'll just have to go to the stupid apple genius bar

6. lostime macrumors regular

it doesn't sound like the battery, it sounds like the DC in board on your laptop. You can check this with a multimeter, plug in the magsafe adapter to the laptop and check the pins inside the battery bay, if you have dc voltage (about 19v) then it's something else, if you don't then it looks like the DC in board. This is user replaceable if you're out of warranty and really easy if you have a unibody macbook, the plastic macbooks are a little harder but still replaceable.

unibody $50 http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Unibody-Magsafe-DC-in-Board/IF160-013

plastic $30 http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Magsafe-DC-in-Board/IF186-019

don't take my word for it sight unseen, take it to an apple store and confirm the problem but don't let them charge you $300 for something you can do yourself.

7. GlenL macrumors member

I'm not sure if this was classified under everything, but whenever I have the "not charging" issue, it's usually because some dog hair or dust got on the magport connectors. Did you try blowing on it, or wiping the connectors with a cloth?

8. Antonio2090 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wiped it with a cloth... still says not charging... im having trouble booking an appointment with the genius bar. in the meanwhile i re-tried the command+option+r+p thing, still says not charging. re-tried resetting the smc with no luck either. Any tips in getting an appointment wit the genius bar?