Battery not charging

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knarzie, Oct 29, 2011.

1. knarzie macrumors regular

My late 2008 13" unibody Macbook has just started giving me a bit of trouble.

The power adapter feeds the Macbook, but next to the battery icon at the top it says 'not charging'. Light on the magsafe is a very dim green. When I pull it, battery says '12%', so it is definitely not fully charged. Quick inspection hasn't revealed any obvious defects with the magsafe or power adapter.

edit: at the risk of answering my own thread: when I fiddle with the cable end going into the magsafe, the light goes from dim green to flickering orange. This might be what Apple call 'strain relief issues' :(

2. session101 macrumors regular

happened to me too, your magsafe connector is bad... just get a new magsafe charger and you should be good to go, i replaced mine with a newer style magsafe and i like it a lot better

3. DemonicZeus macrumors member

Nah.. I got a same trouble also...
    I've met the apple genius bar.. And they told me there are 2 possibilities

First, it is the magsafe...and the second is the logic board
    The magsafe costs $40 but the logic could costs $500

I did nothing.. Because they told me igot logic board problem which means i need to pay$500

If you got logic problem after diagnostic it to genius bar.. It will charge though.. But slower
    It took me 1 full day to charge my mac to 100 percent beacuse of the logic board problem.

Just take it to thegenius bar/ apple store
    Hope it helps

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-6.326520,106.683520

4. knarzie thread starter macrumors regular

just checked, my apple care runs another month. So I better get it fixed quickly. A quick browse suggests that power adapters are covered.

I've upgraded RAM and HDD myself. Will that be an issue for the validity of my apple care?

5. DemonicZeus macrumors member

Lucky you. :D
    Yeah it is normal when power adapter are covered...
    Upgrade wont break the warranty i think

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-6.242587,106.652388

6. knarzie thread starter macrumors regular

Called Apple in the hope they would just send me a new adapter. Turns out they don't answer the phone on Sundays :(

I'd like to avoid a trip to Covent Garden or Regent Street, so I hope I can get them on the phone tomorrow.

7. DemonicZeus macrumors member

Bring it to the service center with your warrantycard

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-6.245217,106.649898