Battery not charging

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by heshamsaeed, Jul 3, 2014.

1. heshamsaeed macrumors newbie

I have the white MacBook (early 2008).
    Two days ago, I noticed the battery's status: "Not Charging". I didn't imagine how critical is the situation until my cat hit the power cable, and the computer got Power-off on the spot.:eek:

I don't know what happened all of a sudden? The battery's performance was acceptable to me (more than one hour at full charge).

From a previous experience with PCs, such sudden damage may occur with Static Electricity (do cats have something to do with this?:confused: .

Is it the charger that could damage the battery? (It seems to be working well, and the computer works normally as long as it is plugged in).

Is there anything that I can do? I am just afraid that I change the costly battery then get it damaged again.

Thanks in anticipation for your help.

2. ignatiushk macrumors member

ignatiushk

Is the charger a knockoff? If it's not i find it highly unlikely for it to damage the battery in any way. I can't think of anything else than to get a new battery. And, my mac is similar to yours and i have had a battery die very quickly too.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Static issues generally cause Logic Board problems. That being said, a degraded battery is a bad battery. That is why my PowerBook G4 will shut off at anywhere from 30% - 50% due to the inability to get an accurate reading by the software. I would order a new battery for your MacBook.

4. boughbuts macrumors newbie

Have you ever had the problem where it just sits on the start up with no mouse or anything besides the logo and a spinning loading bar?

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

At least for the 2010 white Macbook, new batteries can be easily purchased on Amazon for less than $60 including shipping. You can likely get a lower price on ebay. If your battery uses the tri-wing (3 slots instead of the more common 1 slot or 4 slots) screws, buy a batter where they ship one of those screw drivers as part of the package. For working on MacBooks you can need small screw drivers in several patterns such a Pentalobe, Torx, Phillips, and Tri-wing. You can get packages of these types of screw drivers on line from many retailers.

I suggest all non-Retina Macbook owners have a set of these screwdrivers. You never know when you want to or need to replace a battery, up in a SSD, or add memory.