Battery not lasting long

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cmuench, Sep 11, 2008.

1. cmuench macrumors member

Hello all,
    I have a 2.16 C2D macbook bought in end of May last year. My battery only lasts about 2 hrs right now. Which is definetly shorter than when I originally got it. I bought the full applecare for it which has another 1.7 yrs on it. What is the best way to get a new battery from apple?

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

How many cycles are on your battery?

When was the last time you calibrated?

Go to :apple:>>About this Mac>>More Info>>Hardware>>Power

To the right you will see your battery's (the one that is currently in the computer) information.

[​IMG]

As you can see from the picture, my battery currently has 29 cycles on it.

Check the total number of cycles and your maximum potential charge versus your current charge (if the battery is displaying 100% charged) (for my battery, you'll see that the figures are 5282 for the maximum attainable charge, and 5243 for the current charge held, which equals 99.3%, or perfectly healthy). If these numbers vary drastically, your battery is likely to be wearing out. However, this is expected as time goes on and as the number of cycles increases. The battery should retain 80% of its maximum charge all the way up to 300 cycles.

Read more about your battery and maintaining it here.

As for Applecare, since you have it, Apple will replace a faulty or defective battery. Most of the time, they will also replace a worn down battery (ie, you've used it for more than 300 cycles), but they aren't obligated to do this under the terms of Applecare. However, most geniuses and store personnel are willing to be accommodating.

3. cmuench thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info. and actually tonight the plastic casing to the right of the mouse on the trackpad cracked and poped up. so hopefully they will replace that too.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That might be more of a toss-up than the battery. Cosmetic damage is usually more costly to repair, and Apple's geniuses have been known to claim that the damage was caused by "user negligence."

However, if you're polite and friendly, I'm sure they'll take it up for repair without much issue. Only a handful of geniuses are like that, but it's always best to be on one's guard.

5. Fred87nc macrumors member

what gives... I only have had my macbook for 3 weeks and I already have 42 cycles on it.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Each cycle is one entire charge and recharge of your battery, and since it's doubtful that you could rack up that many cycles in a 21-day period, I suggest you contact Apple. It's possible that the battery was used elsewhere first, or that your computer needs to be calibrated.

Calibrate, and if the figures persist, take it into an Apple store.

7. zcamel macrumors newbie

I was just given a new battery for my 2-year old Macbook from the Apple Store. Basically, it wouldn't even hold a charge anymore, so as soon as you pulled the chord out (or tripped over it) the computer immediately died. I just went in there and told them the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore and they replaced it, no questions asked. I also had more than a 400 cycle count. I guess it just depends on how hard you can pimp the Genius at the Genius Bar.

In regards to the definition of a cycle, I have been keeping a close watch on my new battery and the Macbook registers a cycle even if the battery doesn't deplete completely. In other words, if I have it plugged in and the battery is fully charged, then I unplug it for a couple hours with the battery halfway depleted, then plug it back in until it's fully charged, the Macbook will copy that as a cycle. ****** I know, but that's how it is...it's best to leave your Macbook plugged in and cycle it fully at least once a month.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That is not a standard cycle by Apple's definition, but the phenomenon you may be observing is due to the fact that the battery will slowly bleed over time even when always on AC power.

Anytime your battery's net charge falls below 95%, recharging will begin and that will count as a small portion towards your next cycle. Over time these small amounts contribute to more and more cycles, even if you haven't fully depleted your battery.

Just keep track of your cycles via calibration once per month. If you notice an excess of cycles being added (ie 30 new cycles in a one month period for a battery that is never off AC power), then take it in.

9. MacTeen macrumors newbie

I also have a problem with my battery. Every time I turn off my Mac after using it for several hours with the MagSafe power port, and turning it on afterwards, or for a couple of hours later, the battery will last only for four hours max (without using ANY applications). If I am working, I use mostly Firefox, iMovie '08, iTunes, and some big applications that can make the fan alive. The disadvantage, however, if I'm not connecting with the power port, and just using the battery, the laptop will last for two hours max (or most of the time, an hour and a half). If I'm only using the laptop writing stuff with TextEdit and browsing the internet at the same time, my batt will remain for two and a half hours.

The only way I can eliminate the usage of power, if I'm only writing and not using the internet, I turn off the AirPort and that is the MOST helpful way I can do to make my Mac last for an hour longer. Other way is to turn off the Bluetooth and it also helps greatly.

Any ideas to boost the battery life to its highest capacity?

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You need to provide more specifics as to your computer model, how old it is, how old the battery is, and the last time you calibrated it.

11. cmuench thread starter macrumors member

Well I have an update. Just came back form the apple store. The Genius replaced the plastic casing and threw in a new battery too. So I guess I got lucky :)

12. MacTeen macrumors newbie

I have a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM and a hard drive of 250 GB. I bought it last April and I haven't calibrated it yet. I intended to for so many times, but I was extremely busy and needed the computer at all times (but maybe I will tomorrow ;)). I don't know how old the battery is, but maybe it's the same with the laptop itself.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Given the age of your computer, I think some loss in maximum battery life should be expected.

Follow the directions I provided for the OP in Post #2 and tell me what you see.

I have a feeling that because your notebook is a year and a half old, with moderate battery use, you will be approaching a heavy number of cycles, which is why you are beginning to see a drop off in battery life.

The maximum battery life for a mbp of your model is only about 4-4.5 hours , and that usually means that Bluetooth is turned off and you aren't doing anything intensive. Once you begin to run heavy apps the battery will begin to drain quickly.

Calibrate your battery (make sure you follow directions!) and then post your battery's health information.

14. beck00 macrumors newbie

Help

I'm having the same problem. I just got my 2.4 Macbook Pro 13" like 3 weeks ago and am, at the moment, having problems with the battery life. For example, I just opened it up about 20 minutes ago to 93% battery and its now at 67% percent! There has got to be a problem here. The brightness is probably at 40% and the keyboard at 20%. I'm wondering if anyone is having any similar problems and if there is anything I can do or if I need to visit an apple Genius.

15. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Have you calibrated your battery? From what I have been told, the battery only lasts as long as it "thinks" it will. Basically, your Full Charge Capacity (FCC) is estimated every time you charge your battery back up after using it. So, if you only use 10-20% each charge, eventually your computer will think the battery has less capacity than it actually does. Calibrating the battery fixes the problem. Just go to apples website and search "battery calibration" to get instructions. Hope this helps :)

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If, after you calibrate your battery, the problem remains, then you most likely have a bad battery. Since the batteries are no longer user-replaceable, you'll have to head to an Apple Store or call. Going to the store would be better since shipping a notebook out can take a little while. Be sure you back everything up before taking your notebook in. :)

17. Velvetrain macrumors newbie

Bad Battery

:mad: I'm so disapointed to find after 13 months the battery is gone in my MacBook. My daughter swears by Dell computers, 5 years later hers is still ticking over on the original battery and replacement is less than half the cost of Apple's when it does go. I spoke to the tech guys and they said it's $60+ to check the battery, add that to the $200+ for the replacement battery and the numbers just dont appeal. $200+ a year for battery doesnt make the Apple a good buy for me.