Battery not recognized but still works

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Matsuo, May 31, 2012.

1. Matsuo macrumors newbie

I just got an OWC NuPower battery for my mid 2009 Macbook and I'm having a frustrating issue. The battery fit in the Mac right away with no issue and I booted it up no problem and the magsafe light turned red like I expected and the battery indicator read 0%. I pressed the button on the battery itself and it showed near full charge with the green LEDs. I pulled the magsafe off of the computer and it went to sleep. When I woke it up from sleep the battery read 86% then went to 0% again though the computer still is running on just battery. It doesn't appear like the adapter is charging the battery but it shows up as charging.

I've tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM as well as the SMC with no luck. The battery works fine and is powering the computer no issue, it just seems like the computer doesn't realize it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

2. Matsuo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmm, with some experimenting I've been able to get the computer to both charge the battery and recognize the percentage. This was achieved by putting the screen flat on the ground and having the keyboard perpendicular to the ground. I'm working on a more permanent solution but this now looks like an issue with OWC's battery instead of apple's hardware.

3. Apples&Health macrumors newbie

Hey! I have the exact same problem. My macbook is a 2009 model 5,2, and it's not working either. I am updated to Mountain Lion, so could that be a possible problem?

Anyone else found a solution yet?