Battery noy charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cpidk, Dec 7, 2013.

1. cpidk macrumors newbie

I have a little trouble with my lovely macbook pro, it will not charge the battery it can not run on battery power, the start and run normally on the power supply, but turns off when I unplug the power supply, there is an x over the battery and it says no battery in the text, the battery is, entirely new.
    Today, however, I discovered something strange if I hold the power button for approx. 10 sec. and then connect the power supply starts up with fans at full power and no lights on the keyboard, but it can then run on battery, it charger not.

is there anyone who has a past of what it sweeps?

Regards
    Claus from Denmark

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Which MacBook and where did you get the battery installed?

3. cpidk thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook pro 8.1 early 2011 2.3 ghz.

the battery was installed just before i bought the Macbook i think maybe i was i private installer, as there ware missing 4 screws in the bottom plate on the macbook.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Really?
    A NEW battery in a MacBook Pro that is maybe 2 years old?
    Those batteries in unibody MacBook Pro should be able to last 5 or six years from new.
    That makes me suspicious that there's other damage (such as liquid spill)
    A tech will tell you that the screws on the bottom case are not just pretty, they serve as a structural element - adding stiffness to the case.

Have you checked the battery connector inside, to make sure that it's connected securely?

5. cpidk thread starter macrumors newbie

it makes me suspicious to, i have opened the Macbook but no trace of liquid spill, i have checked the battery connector looks fine no trace of any fault, my first thought was the logic board, but when the Macbook started on the battery when i hold the power button for aprox. 10 sec. and then connect the power cable to the Macbook, its runs in a kind of safe mode with the fan at full speed + no light in the keyboard + no power info. i am not sure that its the logic board. btw. the battery indicator is not working as well.

hope to find a solution.

6. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

This to me pretty clearly indicates that this is not a hardware problem like a loose connector cable or something, but rather a software issue with the way the computer manages power.

Have you tried a simple SMC reset?

7. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

From Apple.com for SMC reset

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).
    Shut down the computer.
    Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
    On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
    Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
    Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

8. cpidk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I tried a PRAM reset, and SMC reset. None of it worked.

i am hoping that it is a software issue.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Seems like a hardware problem to me, take it to Apple and they can check it out. Those 3rd party batteries are usually crap.

10. cpidk thread starter macrumors newbie

i have just tried the apple hardware test = no problem found.
    In enmark we do not have any Apple center. only Apple authorized repair service.
    and they are only thinking on the money they can make on a repair or replace.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    If it were a software issue, resetting the SMC would've likely fixed it. It sounds like a hardware problem, either with the battery or logic board.

12. cpidk thread starter macrumors newbie

This solved my problem.

1. unplug the power cord.
    2. open the back side of the Macbook.
    3. disconnect the battery connector.
    4. connect the power cord. (my Macbook started when i connected the power)
    5. close tha Macbook.
    6. Start AHT (Apple Hardware Test) (opition + D at start up)
    7. Run AHT if no errors check that the battery indicator on the side is working.
    8. Close the Macbook, leave the power cord in the Macbook. (light green)
    9. Connect the battery connector.
    10. Check the function of the battery indicator is working.
    11. Start the Macbook check that is has found the battery.(my Macbook found the battery but no charge on the battery.
    12. Restart the Macbook, all worked again.

I am so happy.:)

hope this will work for you.

13. Donsentenza macrumors newbie

Thanks for sharing this even if it didn't worked for me.
    PS: i have the same MacBook pro as yours (MC700LL/A) with the same issue.