Battery of MacBook Pro 2016 15" with touch pad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jwdave, Dec 7, 2016.

1. jwdave macrumors newbie

I know there are many threads on this but they seem to have become very diverse. My brand new 15" MBP with touchpad 2.9 GHx i7 even after I have rendered it almost useless by disabling stuff can still only manage 3 hours on battery!! I have tried everything I have read but to no avail... I am on circa 10 recharge cycle.

2. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

Try doing a clean install of Sierra or try the latest Sierra beta

3. laser71 macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat. I'm unconvinced that a clean install is the answer though, as I feel that placebo effect is at work.

Battery is a disaster - and sadly will only get worse as it ages.

4. jwdave thread starter macrumors newbie

I am already running 10.12.2, this update (a couple of days ago) has made no difference. Just unacceptable!

5. Eggy123 macrumors newbie

Eggy123

Send it back to Apple then. Its clearly not working as intended. Whinging on the forums is not going to solve your problem.

6. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

You have a seriously faulty laptop, way beyond the complaints on here about battery life. Return your unit.

Out of curiosity, what screen/keyboard brightness are you working with?

7. jwdave thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen at about 40%, keyboard lights virtuall off.... re eggy123. telling me to stop whinging is not very constructive, forums are venues where people can hopefully learn something they did not know that may be causing the issue!

8. faxe macrumors newbie

faxe

i did a clean install and after that i did a direct upgrade to 10.2.2 beta 5 since that i have no issue with battery life anymore.

no issue is maybe the wrong wording i get 7 hours with some brightness reduced on battery so thats about the limit which is acceptable for me, still far away of 10 hours.

9. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I didn't tell you to stop whinging...

But I would swap out that laptop as that's a very low battery time you're achieving on those low light settings. With light-medium usage I get around 8-10 hours on my 15".

10. jwdave thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I clarify what you mean by a clean install? Are you suggesting a reformat and recovery mode so install? Or just an so reinstall from recovery mode?

11. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

Reformat drive followed by fresh install.