Battery on MacBook air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Davidharry, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Davidharry macrumors regular

Davidharry

Some advice please on MacBook in use all day.when I connect the mains cable to charge the battery the screen gets brighter is that normal.? What is the best way to charge the battery is it advisable to leave the mains connect or just to charge the battery.
    Many thanks. David.

2. gregorcic macrumors newbie

gregorcic

Yes, that is normal for screen. You can leave it and from time to time unplug it and do one cycle on battery in a month

3. Davidharry thread starter macrumors regular

Davidharry

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The default screen behavior is normal as it dims the screen when in battery to save power so battery lasts longer between charges but is fully customizable by user under System -> Preference.

Whether leave machine plugged is been asked since the dawn of times so u will get more than a few different replies.

My Air is 6 years old, battery at 938 charge cycles, 79% health. I keep in plugged in when in use and leave it like that until am done for the day or it's gonna be unused for a long while (hours) and it's already fully charged, then I pull the plug. I use mine every day and discharge the battery between 10-50%. What the first numbers signify, it's telling me a battery change is due soon. Expectancy of battery lifetime charge cycles is ~1,000, and when it drop to 70% health, the end is near, but is really depends how many hours you need it on battery. If I have a need to keep it on battery longer than what I need it today, I probably had replaced it already for max endurance. But for sure, don't obsess about it, just don't leave it in a hot car if that's not already obvious.

5. Davidharry thread starter macrumors regular

Davidharry

6. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Don't worry about the battery, they're pretty durable. I would advise against burning through unnecessary cycles (for some reason, some people unplug the machine when it's fully charged), but other than that, take it to the bed if you want, plug it in when you're at your desk, unplug it when it's inconvenient.

7. Davidharry thread starter macrumors regular

Davidharry