battery on new macbook very dissapointing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lshirase, Jan 8, 2008.

1. lshirase macrumors regular

i recently purchased a new black macbook 2.2ghz with leopard. it says my battery has gone through 8 cycles so far. every time i charge..i let the battery die to single digits before i give it a full charge and use it. the battery only lasts me about 3:45 average. why is it so low? all i do is iTunes, web surfing, and iChat.

2. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

That's about what my MacBook Pro gets and what my PowerBook got when it was new. Don't let Apples estimated run time fool you, I think that 3:45 is pretty average. Try letting the computer run down until it sleeps then charge it up, that may help a bit.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Do you have bluetooth on? You can turn that off to save a little battery. Are you running the display at full brightness? Backing off on brightness can save a lot of battery. You can also change other options in energy saver control panel to save even more. 3:45 seems about right to me if you're not doing anything to conserve battery.

4. adrake86 macrumors regular

5. Loalq macrumors newbie

CNET clocked in 4:30min on their DVD test (they keep DVD movies running), but said they achieved 3h30 in the old 2.16Ghz MB.

Still, 3h45 on a thin, lightweight package such as the MB looks fantastic to me, so much more than the standard 6-cell batteries that come with Vaio CRs and HP 6500 series...

6. abz786 macrumors 6502

i am getting just under three hours

browsing internet and typing in word, nothing else on and everything on low settings!
    wierd!!!!! :-(

also battery capacity is lower then it was originaly? possible?

p.s coconut battery isn't that accurate, when my laptop is charging it says not plugged in, and the other way around as well!!!

7. signatus macrumors member

signatus

remove battery

Isn't it possible to take the battery out while you're plugged to electricity? Batteries have a limited amount of charge cycles, so if you don't need to use them (i.e. when you're using the computer as a desktop) you should be able to remove them in order to save charge cyles, and make them last longer.

8. abz786 macrumors 6502

know ive posted on this before
    but now almost 2 months of having my macbook this is the charge cycle i use it

plugged in 24/7 once at home and sleeping when not using while being plugged in

unplugged at school almost all day since battery lasts me all day

now the above 2 scenarios, how the %^&*( does my battery capacity decrease from 100% to almost 88%

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!!!!

i do not have the applecare yet, but have ordered it, so wondering what i shud do now

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I don't think so, at least not on the old iBooks.

10. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

You're not bad off at all! My MB last not even two hours when I'm playing games. That's why I use the power adaptor. And my battery health is 100%.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You don't have to drain your battery down to "single digits" every time you use it. Like someone said before me, turn down the brightness, turn off blue tooth, and then turn off the airport when the internet is no longer needed.

12. abz786 macrumors 6502

hmmmmm

i guess im pretty fair off

i use to to program code (java) and browse the net and chat on msn

and the odd time running office 08

otherwise sleeping while carryin it around campus

13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

3.5 hours is normal for MB/Ps. The only way you'll see Apple's (up to) 6 hour estimate is if your watch stops while you're timing the battery. :D

14. Mackan macrumors 65816

It is standard for laptop manufacturers to measure battery time when the laptop is doing nothing, with the screen brightness on lowest setting, and everything else turned off. They should try to announce battery time for playing continously a movie or something, but there are so many factors involved. Just cut their measured battery time in half, and you end up in the right range.

15. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

You don't need to take it out. The computer will run solely off of the power adapter when ever it is plugged in. Charging the battery while running off battery power would be very wasteful.

My PowerBook gets a little above 2hrs last time I checked. Nearly 4hrs is great from my perspective!

16. kolax macrumors G3

Anything over 3 hours is brilliant. 3 hours is average for most laptops - even if they manufactures claim more.

17. abz786 macrumors 6502

so i just realized that my macbook batter capcity has been decreasing very slowly but fast

yesterday posted it around 88%

its at 85% now
    WTF!!!

and at school right now doing programming!!!

18. kolax macrumors G3

Calibrate your battery - leave your laptop on until the battery is completely dead.

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

New machine, new battery - I get pretty darn close to 4 hours with wifi on (100% signal strength), bluetooth off, screen at about 25% brightness. This is sitting on my couch surfin' the net, so there is very little HD activity.

I think your 3.5 hours is pretty good for general usage. My MBP got at most 3 hours with wifi on.

If you want, you can have the big-ass HP/Compaq w/ Vista I use for some things at work. I get two hours if I've got everything off and the screen brightness turned way down.

20. MilesChatterji macrumors newbie

MilesChatterji

Reading all of your guys posts, it seems that 3 hrs is normal. However with my experience using my (June 07) MBP with tiger it got much more life out of its battery than with leopard, I have yet to find anyone to agree with me but, other problems with my MBP have been bothering me as well and none of them happened when tiger was installed. As far as the battery goes, using iStat, my current health rating is 69% but this changes every time I reboot or unplug it and let it drain for a while and then plug it back it, often going from the mid 60% range back to the high 70% range. With tiger installed my health was 95% and the battery meter was very accurate. This just seems weird to me. Also while my battery is draining it will register that I have around 50 min. left and about 30% charge left, and around this point every time it will completely die without warning. Then when I go to plug it back in it will register that is has about 55% to charge and it will take around an hour to charge to 98%. I had never experienced anything like this until the leopard install. My battery has been through 50 complete cycles since last june. I have never had anything like this on my previous Tibook's or previous macbook. Also with leopard have been having issues with the finder freezing, and my external drives not ejecting, and time machine constantly think that it is syncing my drive and it wont go to sleep, and a few of my apps from time to time will crash to where I have force-quit in which they do, but the light below the dock icon will remain, and again the computer will not reboot sleep or shut down while in this condition forcing me to push and hold the power button. I am running a 2.2 GHZ june 07 release of the macbook pro, if anyone else has experienced problems like this lemme know, if not maybe I just have a lemon or need to go back to tiger, I love my leopard apps but I am tired of doing this almost every other day and having to carry my power adapter with me to use my computer during class, when it used to last all day during classes while sleeping in between, I rarely shut it down usually leave it running. I have done numerous searches on forums and on apple and have been un able to find anyone with similar problems, I thought about calling apple and seeing if anyone has reported similar issues, but for the most part I have been just dealing with it because I don't know what else can be done, I do perform routine maintenance, and empty caches regularly with onyx as well. The performance of my MBP is still great though other than those quirks.