Battery on the 2016 15" rMBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by augustya, Nov 21, 2016.

1. augustya, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016

augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

I still don't own it so but Can the new 2016 15" rMBP owners(Base level Touch Bar) confirm this? is the battery on the 2016 15" rMBP ( Base Version Touch Bar) such a disaster as reported by a lot of people here? is it such bad ?? I have heard people say it does not even give a five hour life, as opposed to Apple saying it gives Nine hours, is it hardly four hours ? is that correct ? Can somebody confirm this ? If that's true it is really sub-standard battery life !

2. augustya thread starter macrumors 68020

augustya

Nobody willing to share their experience ? Strange !!

3. MJForever23 macrumors newbie

MJForever23

dude don't cry. Let me tell you my story. I have MBP 15 with Radeon Pro 460. And I only played poker game in it since fully charged. So it last around 3 hours. Another test is I used iMovie to edit and export some files. It last 2 hours. I think this is the crap. Isn't it ?

4. augustya thread starter macrumors 68020

augustya

So you are saying you aren't getting anything above 5 hours of battery ? Right ?

5. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

It will come down to usage. If you end up using anything that ends up using dGPU (even if it uses dGPU when it shouldn't use it or could have easily been handled by the iGPU, such as certain browsers, some sites, some apps due to lack of optimisation or bug) for prolonged periods of times, you will have sub 5 hour battery.

If you are mainly on the iGPU, you should at least get 6 hours, and much more if you aren't stressing the CPU.

There are some apps which allow you to disable the dGPU, if you are in a situation where you want to maximise battery life, should you wish to do so.

6. MJForever23 macrumors newbie

MJForever23

Never above 5 hours ... never ... 3 hours maximum
    --- Post Merged, Nov 22, 2016 ---
    dude wait for another 6 months. Apple will release the new MacBook Air worth you every penny on it. It will have more than 12 hours battery life. Wait until April 2017.

7. augustya thread starter macrumors 68020

augustya

So are we saying different machines is giving different experience to different individuals one 2016 15" rMBP may give 7 hours battery life to some and the same model may give abysmal five hours battery life to other ?

APPS like ?

8. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

Yesterday I used it from 4PM till 9PM. About 45 mins editing in LR. 1hr of streaming from the computer to Apple TV. The rest browsing the web and watching Youtube videos. That got me down to 38% remaining. This morning I've been on the web for about an hour. Down to 23% and estimating 2hrs remaining. So that is what I've got so far. I've had the estimates go as high as 14hrs but likely will never get that unless just browsing internet.

15" 2.9 1TB 460

Should add that I started at 100% doing LR edits and during that period the estimate dropped to under 3hrs based on that usage.

9. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

The same machine will give different experiences, depending on usage.

10. augustya, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016

augustya thread starter macrumors 68020

augustya

You were saying there are some APPs that can force to only use iGPU should I wish which are these APPS ?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 22, 2016 ---
    Want a 15" machine :) MBA won't suffice :)

11. xspin macrumors member

xspin

I've been just browsing the internet and only getting 5...

12. augustya thread starter macrumors 68020

augustya

isn't that disgusting !! Just 5 Hours !! Horrendous !!

13. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

As I wrote in another thread, I did three days of running down the battery on my new 15".

Day 1: Just under 7 hours with Safari, Airmail, streaming most of the day, and brightness around 75%
    Day 2: Just over 10 hours with Safari, Airmail, brightness at 55%, auto-birghtness off
    Day 3: Just over 11 hours under similar conditions

14. augustya thread starter macrumors 68020

augustya

How much did you get with Auto-Brighness on ? Does having Auto-Brightness on or off make such a big difference ?

15. ManuCH macrumors 6502

It really depends on whether you're using the dGPU or not.

On battery, I used by 15" rMBP (with 2.9 GHz / 455) to surf the web and use some Office applications. When starting from full, it gave me 10 hours of battery remaining. After 2 hours of usage, it still showed 8 hours remaining and was dropping in a quite linear fashion. Screen brightness about 55%.

I saw a heavy drop when opening Photos. It switched to dGPU and started producing quite some heat. I wouldn't expect it to last more than 6 hours or so under those circumstances.

That's normal and expected. Some tools like gfxCardStatus allow (or at least allowed) you to force the Mac to only use integrated graphic card, increasing battery life by about 100%. Give that a try.

16. augustya thread starter macrumors 68020

augustya

That's surprising just for photos it triggered the dGPu ?? How much battery does it give with the Auto-Brightness On ??

17. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

Not sure how much of a difference it makes... I had it on the first day, but turned it off the second day because it was raising my brightness without me realizing it.

I found running Coconut Battery and displaying the wattage in the menu bar really allowed me to see in near real-time how different things affected energy usage.

18. ManuCH macrumors 6502

Yes, Photos triggers it. And I don't use Auto-Brightness, it just annoys me.

19. jft94 macrumors regular

I have been getting a little over 8 hours with mine. That is with me going back and forth from intensive tasks to basic tasks.

20. augustya thread starter macrumors 68020

augustya

Can you use GFXCARDSTATUS to disable dGPU while using Photos ??

21. ManuCH macrumors 6502

I didn't try yet. No clue if it works with Sierra and the new MBP. Give it a try.

22. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

You could, but it does hurt knowing how much you paid for the machine, having to manually enable/disable the dGPU.

I'd like to think this would be fixed, but hasn't these sort of issues existed for as long as dGPU Macbooks existed? This is why I still hope that, in the near future, the i7-6770 iGPU only model comes out.

We already know Apple was planning to use this CPU, as some display models were incorrectly stating this as the CPU within the machine, but poor yields must have forced them to succumb to the i7-6700.