Battery Only Charges to 97-98%

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kristinaishere, Jul 1, 2009.

1. kristinaishere macrumors newbie

My battery life on my 3GS is pretty great (yes it did seem to get better over time, which is a little strange but not something I'm about to complain about); however, the battery percentage indicator is showing that my phone only charges to 97 or 98% half of the time. The other half of the time it will charge up to 100%.

Anyone else seeing this issue? It's definitely not something I'm going to return my phone over, but I'd like to know if it's a widespread issue or just something with my particular phone.

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Maybe you need to calibrate it like we calibrate macbooks. Let it die and stay dead for about two hours, then charge completely.

3. kristinaishere thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried that twice and it still eventually goes back to 97%. It doesn't hurt to keep trying though! Thanks.

4. marmaladeny macrumors newbie

You may be charging it in the stand by mode.
    Make sure that you turned it off when you are charging!
    If you are charging it in the stand-by mode, it will never get to 100 percent
    charged.

*how to turn it off: hold sleep/wake bottom down long, then power off option will show up.

Good luck!:)

5. kristinaishere thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that is just awful :( I'm going to try what marmaladeny suggested and turn my phone off when I charge and see if that works.

6. globalist macrumors 6502a

Did this ever solve your issue?

I'm having a similar problem, brand new 3Gs, second full charge in its lifetime, and it will only go to 95% , thinking the battery is fully charged (plug symbol appers instead of the flash symbol).

Anyone?