Battery only charges to 98%

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by film major, Mar 24, 2008.

1. film major macrumors member

I bought a refurb macbook pro just a few weeks ago. I know it is past the 14 day period. But, for some reason the battery only charges to 98% now. I have tried powering it down all the way then charging it back up twice now with no results. I did a coconut battery check and it says it's only gone through 3 cycles and is only 2 months old.

Any ideas? Should I call apple and complain?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. film major thread starter macrumors member

4. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

Mine is 4 months old, only charges to 99% UNLESS the battery dies completely and I recharge from 0% again, then it goes back up to 100%. But charging from anything above 50% will normally only take me back to 99%.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I can't believe how much this gets posted... its been answered dozens of times and is covered on Apple's website.

Anything between 95%-100% is normal. Just because it only charges to 98% doesn't mean you battery can only hold 98% of its original charge. It just means that 98% of your current battery capacity is charged, but it doesn't fill it up to avoid damaging the battery. You don't need to calibrate your battery. The percent it doesn't charge is basically meaningless.

Trying to force it to fill up to 100% every time is just going to shorten the life of your battery. Don't call Applecare, don't freak out, its perfectly normal.