Battery only charges to 98%??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ViPa, Aug 3, 2009.

1. ViPa macrumors 6502a

i leave it to charge the whole night and when i wake up its only charged to 98% :confused:

2. jthomp macrumors regular

Mine did that for a little while I was on vacation. The only thing I can attribute it to, was chariging it too often and not letting it drain down. One day, I pulled it off the charger in the AM at 98%, and let it run down to under 20% at the end of the day. Placed it on the charger overnight, and voila! No more <100% charge. Not sure if that will help you, but it did for me. Worth a shot, eh?

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Probably just a calibration issue. Let it totally die, and then recharge.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, have you ever used the phone until it literally dies and shuts down?

Then, charge it using the wall outlet, not with a computer port.

5. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

Charge it harder
    or grow abeard and use it as a cellphone like Chuck Norris because but his beard picks up the incoming signals and translates them into audible sound

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Heard that it wasn't good to let the iPhone battery, well any lithium battery, die all the way down... better to get it close (i.e. 20% warning or so..) and then do a full charge..

Edit: http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Seems you are suppose to run it down once a month... wonder what the varying information is about.

7. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

It's impossible to discharge the iPhone battery all the way. It's built into the iPhone OS to automatically turn off when it gets to about 2%. The phone automatically shuts itself off at about 2%.
    Because discharging a lithium ion battery to 0% will cause permanent damage to the battery, all electronics that use lithium ion batteries automatically shut off before the battery gets all the way down to 0%.

Vipa, next time your iPhone battery is low and you are at home, turn the GPS on, turn the screen brightness all the way up, and drain the battery all the way down until the phone automatically turns itself off. Then wait a few minutes for it to cool down. Then plug it in an let it charge all the way up to 100%. The Apple website says you are supposed to do this once per month.