Battery Optimization Settings?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ChazDaSpaz, Dec 22, 2008.

1. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

Hi guys, I've had my Aluminium MacBook for about a week now. On most Laptops you have settings for things like optimize settings for best battery life or best performance just like in the picture on Apple's website. http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
    Now it looks like it's in energy saver preferences but when I look it's not there. :confused: Is there something wrong? Help appreciated.

2. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

None of the unibody MBs have that anymore.. With the older MBs those settings would actually decrease the power of the processor and thus give you more battery life. With the new MBs, the only way to control battery life is through turning things off (bluetooth, Infrared sensor, Wireless) and dim the screen and/or keyboard lights.

3. ChazDaSpaz thread starter macrumors regular

I see, is there a reason why they removed this feature? Because I don't really want to waste battery life while just word processing or something.

4. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Power management is so automated that I don't really think it's much of an issue. If you're word processing, then the features of the power management wouldn't be kicking in anyways... they come into effect when your computer is idle. If you want to save some power, just turn down the brightness of your screen... not that I think that would make much difference with an LED backlit screen as they're already more efficient that the older displays .

5. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

It's not there anymore..Sadly..

6. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

they should allow people to make custom set-ups for different scenarios, like disabling certain things when your unplugged.

vista had that, and was really good at it. too bad everything else sucked ;D

7. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Once I updated to 10.5.6 they removed it from the menu too... I've been able to do that since I got my computer when it had Tiger... why did Apple remove that in the first place?

8. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Probably because on the Unibody machines that feature is obsolete... The only way to control battery life is dimming the screen/keyboard lights and turning off other items, compared to the previous generation machines that would actually control the speed of the processor...
    My guess is they just didn't want to have to different updates to 10.5.6 (and future) for current machines and older ones... However, you still have that feature under Energy Preferences it just takes a couple of extra clicks to get to it.