Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guv280984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Norn Iron
Hey guys,

Was just wondering what the best way is to preserve the battery? Is it best to keep it plugged in all the time or fully charge it then run it down each time?

Thanks for your input

FloridaBSD

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
Broward County, FL
IMHO, to procure optimal battery life you should run your battery down to zero at least twice a month and charge it up to full power , this will ensure maximum sustainable battery life and also minimize the need to disposal of the battery thus reducing hazardous materials waste in our land fills, thus ensuring that we pass on a health planet to generations to come.

Guv280984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Norn Iron
Hey,

Thanks for the replies.

Another question, i try and keep it plugged in most of the time but when i'm out and about for a while i use it on battery. Is it best to plug it in again when i get home or to let the battery run down then charge it up?

When i get home it is at 60% or so and i would normally just stick it back on charge. Is this good for the battery or not?

Thanks

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
whats the point of having a portable computer then? :confused:
It's portable when it's not plugged in? I haven't conditioned my battery in the 5 months I've owned my MacBook and I don't repair my disk permissions ad nauseam. I only have 12 cycles on the battery and my MacBook works just fine.

Guv280984

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Norn Iron
Hey,

Thanks for the replies.

Another question, i try and keep it plugged in most of the time but when i'm out and about for a while i use it on battery. Is it best to plug it in again when i get home or to let the battery run down then charge it up?

When i get home it is at 60% or so and i would normally just stick it back on charge. Is this good for the battery or not?

Thanks

Guys, any suggestions on the above?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Here's what Apple says. Differs a bit from some folks in this thread, but for what it's worth:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Standard Maintenance

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her MacBook Pro on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
As far as I am aware, batteries still have a propensity to develop a "memory", although they are working on this problem.

When you get home, as suggested above, I would continue using the battery until the software calls for you to put it on recharge.

Twice a month might be ok, but I would suggest getting into the habit of doing it on a specific day each week. Easier to remember that way.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
As far as I am aware, batteries still have a propensity to develop a "memory", although they are working on this problem.
FWIW, the Lithium-ion batteries that Apple uses for most devices shouldn't have the memory issue.

Wonder if the "digital memory" is the reason that Apple suggests discharging it fully once a month?

http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate.

SodiumBenzoate

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
I think leaving it plugged in is probably fine.. My sister's nearly two-year-old MacBook has been plugged in most of the time she's had it, and it still has 96% battery health.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Use it however you like. I don't do any conditioning on my batteries from any of my laptops. They all lasted with at least 90% of their full battery life after 2 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.